GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question aiming fog lights??

just put on a new set of fog lights replacing my cracked ones..
    i noticed that they arent putting out as much light as they used to. could this be a problem with the way they are aimed? i did get into a very minor fender bender and my bumper had to be re aligned to factory spec but i dont think this would change my fog lights..
    there is a bolt with a spring that i think is used for aiming but i dont really wanna mess with it if thats not it..
    any help would be appreciated

btw its an 06 silverado crew cab LT

well, judging from my lights and "bolt" adjustments, they are pretty useless. they add some to regular lights, more towards bumper. adjustment screw is out of adjustment so fast that you can;t lift lights aim any higher.
    i use them for kicks, otherwise - waist of electricity.

so, good use for them is to install iodized light bulbs into them. the yellow ones. now, THOSE are useful - they cut through fog real well and help visibility. that's, by the way, what they should be used for - fog driving. not putting halos in, to blind other drivers even worse.

also, come with some sort of a protective film on the lenses. or you'll be going through lenses like through ice summer time. they are crap and attract rocks just like this.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

Quote Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
    well, judging from my lights and "bolt" adjustments, they are pretty useless. they add some to regular lights, more towards bumper. adjustment screw is out of adjustment so fast that you can;t lift lights aim any higher.
    i use them for kicks, otherwise - waist of electricity.

so, good use for them is to install iodized light bulbs into them. the yellow ones. now, THOSE are useful - they cut through fog real well and help visibility. that's, by the way, what they should be used for - fog driving. not putting halos in, to blind other drivers even worse.

also, come with some sort of a protective film on the lenses. or you'll be going through lenses like through ice summer time. they are crap and attract rocks just like this.

yeah i thought those bolts wouldnt help.. ill have to play around with them to see what can remedy it.. and yes im one of THOSE guys that blind lol.. ive got 10k hid bulbs and as u know there isnt a bulb reflector in the fog lights.. just straight bulb, i make the sun come out at night.

I was schooled with the idea that the lights should be mounted as low as possible and use low wattage bulbs. Yellow lights are not better than white lights. With the same wattage bulb, a fog light with a yellow lens is less bright so it reflects less light back to the driver. A brighter light will only reflect more light back to the source even though oncoming vehicles will see you sooner. Too bright a light will actually reduce your forward visiblity. I recommend a light in the range of 80-100watts with a reflector/lens that produces a low wide pattern. For better vision in clear weather use a high intensity driving light with a pencil beam.

One condition that heavily affects the human eye is bright backscattered light, which sharply reduces visibility. These conditions usually occur during the daytime when clouds, fog, light snow, flurries, or light drizzle reflects sunlight in the atmosphere. It is comparable to the headlights of your automobile shining into the fog or snow. The brightly reflected light may blind you and limit your visibility. Yet the lights of an approaching vehicle seem to penetrate the fog; you can see the approaching vehicle further into the fog.
    The visibility difference is caused because the headlights of your vehicle are reflected back toward your eyes while the approaching vehicle's light is scattered toward you (forward scattered).
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

dudes, just stop this. fog lights are not meant to add any brightness and shine to ones vanity. reason they are placed so low is that they supposed to shine right above the pavement and right below the fog layer. they are intended to IMPROVE VISIBILITY IN FOG, that's it.
    those of you who never drove in dense fog, have no idea. reason i even mentioned iodized bulbs is because they have special light characteristics that permit light beam to pierce fog much father than regular white lights. not because they add brightness or something.

sheeshhh....

Quote Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
    dudes, just stop this. fog lights are not meant to add any brightness and shine to ones vanity. reason they are placed so low is that they supposed to shine right above the pavement and right below the fog layer. they are intended to IMPROVE VISIBILITY IN FOG, that's it.
    those of you who never drove in dense fog, have no idea. reason i even mentioned iodized bulbs is because they have special light characteristics that permit light beam to pierce fog much father than regular white lights. not because they add brightness or something.

sheeshhh....
    i live in the florida keys and therefore never have fog. yes i have been through fog in central florida but im sure its worse in other places. out of all honesty when i had my original fog lights from factory [before the drivers side cracked, replaced both for equality] they DID make the road BRIGHTER.

yes im using 10k hids but even with the factory halogens i noticed a difference when they were added to my headlights.
    i can drive with my foglights on and headlights off safely bc they are bright enough and when adjusted right they are brighter than some cars headlights. ive pulled next to cars at stoplights and noticed i can see more with just my fog lights [before and after hids] than they can with their headlights!! and ive never run into problems with the police or county sheriffs...possibly bc they see that my lights are bright enough?? lol

UPDATE!!!

the screws on my lights to adjust were phillips head and very simple..
    i tightened them up and everything worked out fine.. adjusted back to the way they were before. thx for your info guys