GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Perhaps a dead horse?

Hello all. I'm new to this fine site and I hope this question has'nt been asked to many times? I'm looking to buy a 2002 to 2005 sub and was wondering what the real world MPGs are on a 6.0 with a 3.73 rear end. Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks g

Not a good vehicle to consider if you are worried about mileage. Smaller SUV's or a mini-van would be a better choice. I bought my burb for occasional towing, trips to Lowe's, swap meets, and regular people hauling. When I first bought it, I calculated mpg's in the range of 10-12 and then forgot about it. It isn't a commuter friendly vehicle unless car pooling with a full load.

Consider what you want to use the burb for and if the utility meets your need, then damn the mpg's. Full speed ahead!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Not a good vehicle to consider if you are worried about mileage. Consider what you want to use the burb for and if the utility meets your need, then damn the mpg's. Full speed ahead!
    couldn't have said it better myself, with a truck you'll be looking at 20-23mpg easily.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Legend

I dont believe the sub ever had the 6.0, they either had a 5.3 (1500)or 8.1 (2500)and that was it, the yukon XL however had the 6.0 but only in the denali version. If a Chevy Suburban did I have NEVER seen one for sale with a 6.0 in my area. My uncle is very happy however with the 6.0 in all of his work trucks and gets around 15 hauling/towing in extended cab long box 4x4
    Last edited by vncj96; 05-16-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sorry about the 6.0 post. I was reading Suburban history and I thought they said that the 6.0 was the motor for those years. MY BAD. I currently own a 84 sub with the 6.2 detroit diesel. I love this truck but the old lady wants something from this century. I read it(2002-2006) was rated 12 in town 17 highway and an average of 15. Is this BS or what? I know this vehichle is a gas guzzler no big deal. It will be used for family trips maybe 10,000 miles a year. Is 15 mpg realistic? Thanks g

Quote Originally Posted by gnel View Post
    Sorry about the 6.0 post. I was reading Suburban history and I thought they said that the 6.0 was the motor for those years. MY BAD. I currently own a 84 sub with the 6.2 detroit diesel. I love this truck but the old lady wants something from this century. I read it(2002-2006) was rated 12 in town 17 highway and an average of 15. Is this BS or what? I know this vehichle is a gas guzzler no big deal. It will be used for family trips maybe 10,000 miles a year. Is 15 mpg realistic? Thanks g
    6.0 installed in plenty of 2500 Suburbans from those years. I don't have first hand experience, but my brother's company has a bunch of CC pickups with that engine as well as the 8.1. He says there isn't a whole lot of difference in the mileage of the two but the 8.1 has a bunch more power. I'd go drive them and see what you think.
    Rich

If I didn't have a Suburban I couldn't pull the toy box and haul my family to use the toys.

Jr. Engineer

IMHO this is what I think.

If you are looking strictly for a people hauler that is good on gas and a good family vehicle, I would look at a Montana. I had a montana for about 4 years, and a couple times drove over 1100kms on one tank ( yes we were on fumes). HOWEVER...

NOTHING COMPARES TO DRIVEN A BURB!

I bought my burb because I have to haul 3 (soon to be 4 kids) wife, 2 LARGE dogs (st bernard, and great pyranese). Then I decided... HEY I can haul a trailer. so we bought a 13' camping trailer....

well, that wasn't big enough, so we just bought a 30' trailer that sleeps 10.

This is a very fun and addicting truck. If you want mileage I agree with everyone else here... this is not the truck you want. I will never buy another truck again unless its a burb. I looked at the yukon denali XL, and an expedition. I don't like them. There is something about the burb and how its built, runs, and what you can do with it.

I just love my truck. and I Will tell anyone looking for a truck that this is a great truck.

I have had my share of problems with it and to be honest it was worth it.

I know this is getting off track so I will jump back. LOL

Look for the 5.3L 8 seater, with the tow package, or go a little older and get the vortec 5.7L. Ive been trying to buy a diesel in those years... and it looks like I might have to build one... PROJECT.

anyways.... thats my two cents..I kinda went on a tangent there... sorry

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"