GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Installing roof marker lights

I have an 05 2500 HD LS it doesn't have marker lights but I would like to install them has anyone ever done it before?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have always wanted a set but never had enough guts to try it, there are two things you have to watch for when doing it though. If your truck is a crew cab like mine, there are a ton of braces through the front of the roof. This could cause some serious issues when you go to drill the holes out, and the other thing is the wires that are running loose up there. Here is a picture of when I took my console down to run wires, you can see all of the crap up there that could cause a potential problem. Good luck!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Blog Entries

before you put those big ugly lights up there check out the LED bulkhead lights. if you want more info contact me but all it takes is a hole approx 3/8" the lights have all the grommets for a waterproof seal but i would still use silicone. they don't affect the roof line, almost invisible when off and they are LED so they should last a long time. they also come in red so you can put some in back too. you can get ahold of me via email that is best if you want shoot me a phone number. i can get some pix next week and email them to you. there are 2 different kind either would look better than the old style that stick up an inch or better
    You know I'm born to lose, and gamblings for fools, but that's the way I like it baby I'm not gonna live forever

Thanks, I think I can drill them without getting too crazy and I kind of like the look of the big lights even considered gluing them on without wiring them but thats kind of a cop out so I want to hook them up for real. Where do I hook them up though is there a harness to tap into or just find the running light fuse?

Amy,

I have a quad cab with a DVD in the ceilling. I dont think I have that panel like in your photo from front to back so I guess I have to pull the entire head liner. Which I might have to do to get to the right and left light anyways.

I found a set of clear cab lights with yellow bulbs on ebay that I thought about putting on my truck after I get my visor...they are Item number: 200325187791 if you're interested. I know it says Ford but I'm sure it doesn't matter

Legend
    Blog Entries

No I don't have the console that goes all the way to the back either, all I have is the mini console with the map lights in it. The Ford lights 94cwbyup bought will work but the shape would be different, are you going to do the 5 light aftermarket setup or are you going to get the 3 piece OEM set. Recon sells a nice OEM looking 3 piece set, which comes in clear or smoked with whatever LED color you want.

As far as the wiring already being there, I know I don't have it on mine because I felt up under there when I had the front of mine down and there was no spare wiring harness for them. I also don't have an HD model either, I would think the 2500HD model would have the harness in there. If I was putting them in I would just run the wiring they give you down through the front of the headliner, and then down the A-pillar into the engine compartment so that you could do your fusing and stuff in the engine compartment. You could also run the switch wires into the overhead console, they would look relatively clean up there and it would re close to your roof lights. Here's a picture of my overhead console after I ran my switch wires for my lighting,.............AMY
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap