GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lowering the rear end?

I plan on lowering the rear end to make it level with the front of the truck. I was wondering what I would need to level it out and how much it normaly cost? The truck Is stock height. It's a 2006 chevy silverado crew cab. Any help would be awesome.

Well I don't know much about lowering but 4wheelparts.com has a slam air kit that you can look up.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

i'd say your everyday AutoZone 2" drop blocks would set it nice and even without sacrificing your everyday ride.
    *Lowered Expectations*
    ~President~
    1991 GMC Sierra SLE
    Reg.- Cab LWB 2wd
    ( ? Drop or Lift ? )

Jr. Apprentice

Hey man, I have the same truck, I am attaching a link. Drop shackles are what I reccomend. I made some custom shackles for mine. Drop blocks are ok, but they wont work on that model truck. I hope this helps you.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200...ckles-Hangers/

Quote Originally Posted by mec.1987 View Post
    Hey man, I have the same truck, I am attaching a link. Drop shackles are what I reccomend. I made some custom shackles for mine. Drop blocks are ok, but they wont work on that model truck. I hope this helps you.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200...ckles-Hangers/

Thanks for all the answers.

How many inches did you have to drop it when you put the shackles on?

Jr. Apprentice

Hey buddy, Ok, I sent you a link on what seemed like a good kit. But I havent used it personally, like I said, I made my shackles right here in my garage. But not everyone has grinders,welders and torches in their garage,lol. Anywho, with mine I dropped it 2" for it to set level, you will need to do the same. The link is a 2" inch rear drop, it should be just what you need. Lemme know if you need further assistance.Mike OH, and FYI, you are gonna need a second set of hands, you dont want the spring to come flying out at you.

Jr. Apprentice

not sure about your year truck, but i did my 08' alone with a floor jack and 2 jack stands.
    2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ 2WD 5.3 AFM/flex
    Ground Force 2" lowering shackles. Silver front bowtie, removed rear bowtie (pain in the A$$) and ugly flexfuel emblem.
    Tinted windows.
    Kenwood DNX7120 navigation w/bluetooth, steering wheel controls, ipod, backup camera installed inside tailgate "fin/spoiler thing"

Jr. Apprentice

Yeah, mine is a 06, but I wanna always pust safety notes out there, just cause of simple mistakes. One of my old neighbors was putting some shaclkes on his old truck, and was scooted up close to the spring, and I guess he didnt have enough since to realize that if he is having to beat the bolt out, then there is prolly some pressure behind it....needless to say he went to the dentist shortly after this.lol mike

Thanks for all the answers. I was thinking about making my own but I drove down to 4 wheel parts and they wanted 113.00 for some ground force's but then I got on there website and they were only 65.00 so I ordered them. Thanks for all the help

Just out of curiousity ZSI52, is there a specific reason why you would rather lower the read as opposed to lift the front? I don't ask because I disagree with your decision. I ask because I have a stock 2000 Silverado and I wanted to raise my front end to match the rear. I was just wondering if you would just prefer a lower ride of if there was something about trucks I didn't know about yet... considering this is my first truck.

2007 Silverado LS 4x4 1500 | 4.8L Vortec | Crew Cab
    SGT Davis - US Army POW-MIA You are not forgotten...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast