GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Considering Buying 1500 Silverado any Advice?

• I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab w/ 4.3l V6.
    • Is this motor powerful enough for this truck? I only plan doing some light towing (16 ft jonboat).
    • Is there anything I should pay close attention too before purchasing?
    • Are there any common problems with these older trucks I should be aware of before purchasing?

I would greatly appreciate any additional insight shared.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shwagy357 View Post
    • I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Silverado 1500 Reg Cab w/ 4.3l V6.
    • Is this motor powerful enough for this truck? I only plan doing some light towing (16 ft jonboat).
    • Is there anything I should pay close attention too before purchasing?
    • Are there any common problems with these older trucks I should be aware of before purchasing?

I would greatly appreciate any additional insight shared.

Thanks
    don't. unless you very good mechanic and don't mind continuous repairs.

no, motor is underpowered for the truck and, lord save you, for any major job. of course, i'll be bashed by every 4.3 owner here, but i hope you understand how goes it on this...

well, let me put it this way: i had mine purchased 2 yrs ago, with 58K miles on ticker. ever since, I had: transfer case switch replaced, both window regulators replaced, idler arm replaced, tierod ends replaced, leaking windshield resealed with a ton of silicone, driver side hub replaced, driveshaft removed and serviced for yoke thud(came back in 4 mths) steering shaft replaced with clunk coming back. i have clunks and rattles everywhere. around 16.7 average mpg, and i am very easy driver. oil pan leaking. can't remove drain plug from oil pan.. nasty rear windows noise at freeway speeds. crazy fuel gauge. so, where do you want to start looking for?

yes, common problems are: slip yoke, intermediate steering shaft, hub bearings, idler and pitman, window regulators, fuel pump, gas tank sending unit.
    basically, and i am not lying, i had more repairs done on this truck than i had done on 3 mitsubishes, toyota, honda, lexus, and ford ranger combined.

also, i am membering in 5 chevy forums, and it's about the same everywhere.

lately, it developed a shake switching into 2nd gear. my guess - trannie's on the last leg. so, i already placed feelers for last gen Toyota Tacoma from auction and will sell this one asap. it's a frigging money pit.

and if you think it's just ****ty year - well, read about the new ones:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22692

why do you think GM is on the verge of bankruptcy and closing dealerships in hundreds?

of course, this will be followed by angry owners of ones that "never had any trouble in 300 000 miles" but somehow, i really will doubt that.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

I have only had to replace o2 sensors and regular wearout items like brakes and tires.Engine runs smooth and quiet. I have had problems with previous Canadian built Chevs but my current one was built in U.S.I bought it in Vermont.
    01 Silverado Ext
    4x4
    pewter
    billet grille
    step bars

i dont know much about the history of silverado's but i can tell you look over the truck very carefully. I recently bought a truck and got a lot of surprises when i took it home and looked over it. Do that before your agree to a purchase. Climb under it and look around, ask for a history on it. You dont want to have to find out a week later you need to do a big repair. The color of the fluids is a good indicator of how the previous owner took care of it. Good luck

buy a v8, like ukrkoz said earlier, that engine just wasnt cut out for being a "truck" engine. my second chevy truck i bought was a 2001 reg cab with that engine and i ended up taking it back within a few months because it just doesnt perform like a truck should! i now have a 2002 with the 5.3 and couldnt be happier with it. thats just my personal opinion.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Jr. Engineer

If a 4.3 is what you want they are a beast. they will pull that john boat with ease. But the gas milage comparision to the 5.3 is comparible. so you meight as well get the 5.3 because it gets the same gas milage.

I suggest the 5.3l over the 4.3l, gets good gas mileage, and has excellent amount of power.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Sr. Apprentice

there's good and bad in all vehicles. just cause everybody has a good one doesn't mean you can't get a bad one and the opposite for every bad one there's a great one. 5 months ago when i decided to go back to a truck the only one i wanted was a chevy. took a look and saw a '05 4.3/5-speed 2x4 at a great price with pretty low miles. having had a '92 bought brand new a few years back with the same drivetrain and loved it i was sold. would i like a little more power? sure i would but for what i use my truck for which is mostly a commuter vehicle it's great. with whatever you look at just check it over carefully and then check again. take it for a long test drive and play with every button knob etc, if you're not mechanically inclined take someone with you that can run up a realistic mental tab of any repairs the truck may need. good luck and don't let someones bad experience stop you from getting what you want.
    :star: Keep Drivin' -Pete.

2005 Reg Cab Short Bed
    4.3 V6/5 Speed
    W/T