GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How To Wash Engine?

Okay, i've decided my engine needs a bath, but I'm afraid of getting water into my alternator. Or, getting water into area's that it's not good to have water in. Engine is pretty dusty. And, I'm too lazy to go in there with a toothbrush and start scrubbing.
    Here's the picture from the car show... Only shined what i thought needed. It needs a good cleaning.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Jr. Engineer

What you need to get yourself is somekind of all purpose cleaner. I myself use Adams All purpose Cleaner. You then get a brush to brush the engine with. After that you get a hose with a Wide Spray nozzle. then it is time to go to work. first you spray the engine down with the all purpose cleaner dont get as much on any electronics. then you scrub like you never srub before now make sure to use common sense and dont go lossening anything or knocking anything off. then after the srubbing is done then you want to take the apc to the underside of the hood to get that cleaned. After that you start the vehicle and start to spray the water lightly over the engine once the product is removed spray under the hood. then once you got the all purpose cleaner off then let the engine run till dry.

But first watch these videos

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_5.aspx
    http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_15.aspx

this video has the same engine you are trying to clean

I usuallly just take it to the car wash. I first spray the engine and compartment with the tire cleaner/engine degreaser setting and then rinse on the rinse setting. Since the rinse setting is high pressure, just be careful and don't get the nozzle to close to the components. It won't hurt the alternator to get wet, it lives in the elements already (you do drive in the rain don't you?).
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

I've washed a few vehicles for a the dealership my dad used to work for, so I learned their tricks of the trade on engine cleaning. I would use the engine cleaner they get - made by Valvoline or something (I think only dealerships and detail places can get that exact product) and spray it on. Let it sit for a while. Then, just rinse it off with a garden hose. You don't need a lot of pressure. In your case, a more heavy duty cleaner or degreaser might be better for the first cleaning. Make sure not to get any cleaner or detergent of any type on the insulating mat on the hood. If you do, be sure to rinse it out completely. It will rot it over time - I didn't know this before I washed dealer cars. And as long as you don't use high pressure, don't worry too much about electrical things. Try not too get too much cleaner on the electrical, and be careful if you choose to scrub by hand, but low pressure water won't hurt anything. Just leave the truck off when you wash the engine because you the only issues you could possibly have (and in very rare cases) are with circuits that are active - if its off then those are only the constant power circuits. I know this is long, but I think its a good method. Good luck with your cleaning and I hope this helps.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

that looks pretty clean to me
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

I usually spray the engine down with the garden hose when it looks like it needs it. I usually have the engine off, and I spray it down before I wash the outside.
    When I need the heavy stuff, I use Beaver 722 (Purple Stuff). I don't know if it's available over the counter, I get it from work. It works great - no high pressure needed.
    My truck was pretty well taken care of before I got, but I did a little degreasing, and just try to keep up on it.
    You have a nice looking truck, get that hood up, man!

Good luck,
    Last edited by KidHauler; 04-12-2010 at 10:35 PM.

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!