GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: VW Beetle

Default VW Beetle

I know this is a chevy forum, but a good friend of my mom's has a 2004 beetle with 115K miles on it that is acting up. I read the codes for it with my scan tool thing and it said all 4 cylinders are misfireing and theres some air backflow. It also says something is wrong with the air sensor circuit, wich i assume could be an air flow sensor. Oh, and it also says it's running lean.

I checked the spark plugs and plug wires and they all look good. What next?

There is this black thing that almost looks like it could be either a blower or a vacuum in the front of the engine compartment that has a hose running from the air box to it and another hose running from it to somewhere near the throttle body. What the heck is this thing? I'm thinking this could be the problem but i have no clue what it is and what it's supposed to do.

If you need more info let me know, cause i'm not good at describing things. Thanks
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

What motor is it?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

2L inline 4
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)

Is it turbo? If it is, then there are a lot more things to trouble shoot. Just off hand, my guess would be either a vacuum leak or a bad MAF sensor. Has the car been in any impacts? Hard hits on pot holes or accidents?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

it's not a turbo. it's in a plastic housing. all of a sudden the car is acting normal. i dont think it's been in any wrecks.