GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Do you really need a cold air intake?

I have a 1998 Chevrolet K-1500 5.0. I was looking at buying a cold air intake for my vehicle, but why should I? On my truck, there is a box surrounding the air filter. I just took the top of the box off, and to me this works just like a cold air intake, if anyone thinks this is stupid or cold mess up something on my truck please reply.

Legend
    Blog Entries

NO! We don't need one, but they look so cool under the hood! I personally think cold air intakes a waste of money, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy another more expensive one next time. It's one of those things like, hey everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I? I did think of doing what you did on my last truck, but the ego boost got to me and I bought a K&N anyway LOL!

I think it's personal preference myself, and you really don't see any gains unless you use a programmer with it in the first place. I look at it as a way to stimulate the economy, but it is usually the first thing that somebody does to there truck because of ease of installation.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I agree, I know some guys who have K&N cold air intakes, but why spend several hundred dollars, on something that could be done free, and in about 10 seconds at most.

I didn't need my Volant CAI, but I like it. I guess allowing more air in is key to the system. I was surprised at the plastic that was attached to the OEM intake tube. Removing that shaved a few...ounces off my ride!

Charlie
    XS ive1:(^^^)
    2008 Silverado Crew LTZ Southern Comfort conversion
    SoCo cat back duals
    Volant CAI
    6" Pro-Comp lift
    ARE cap with Yakima rack system (winter)
    GM Hard tri-fold tonneau (summer)
    GM rear wheel liners

XS ive2:(avatar)
    2014 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Z71 6.6 DMax/Allison
    6.5" BDS 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LineX/wheel liners/OEM tube steps/sunroof/slider/mirrors/Nav/cablights/trifold tonneau

Getting the toys to the track with a 2007 Roadmaster 7X12 V-Nose 7k tandem "Mobile Man Cave".

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I agree, I know some guys who have K&N cold air intakes, but why spend several hundred dollars, on something that could be done free, and in about 10 seconds at most.

OK,OK....i don't know about free or 10 seconds, but for around 40 bucks there are real nice ones.

Although the Big money K&N perform better.

COLD AIR in an engine intake is always better, do u need it ....NO , does it help your power band and performance ....YES !!!!!!!!!

Just my 2c

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

I was talking about (Free, and about 10 seconds) taking the lid off the air intake box, that draws air from a hole in the fender. Wouldn't taking off the lid, do the same thing as buying a cold air intake kit, because you are still drawing in air from an air filter underneath the hood.

The big robbers of free flowing air are the intake to the filter,the filter, and the tube between filter and manifold. Removing OEM filter box cover will take care of 1 of the 3, but the air will still have 2 other elements to deal with before it gets to where it needs to be. Yes without the OEM cover it will be better, but not as efficient as it could be.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by XS ive; 12-26-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: speeling... agin.

What would be the difference in the tube between the filter and the intake? They both seem to do the same thing, even though the look different.Also how could one be more efficient than the other, if they both would deliver air from the filter to the intake in the same path?

To get a true Cold Air Intake you'd probably need to build your own, something drawing air from a low pressure area on the outside of the trucks sheetmetal, probably the best low pressure area is at the base of the windshield with your scoop running towards the windshield like a cowl induction hood. Make the intake tube short and smooth, the throttle body will put all the swirl you need into the mix, fewer curves and bumps leave less disturbed air.
    OEM and aftermarket intakes normally draw from places that have warm engine compartment air mixing in with them.

REAL COLD AIR INTAKE , just like i did on my little Suburban.......

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by