GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about Tire size difference...

All right, be easy on me... I'm new to this so if I sound stupid I apologize.

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with the Z71 off road package, I bought it in Dec and it had brand new tires on it (Cooper S/T 285/70R 17). Well, I've now had two alignments done, bought new tires for the front end and finally lowered my torsion bars. They had been cranked up all the way and toed the tires in and were wearing the edges bald with the rest of the tire looking almost brand new. The dealership has told me that with the lowered torsion bars, this size tire will rub on tight turns. I'm trying to decide if I should go to the 275/70R/17 or the 265.... Not sure if the 275 will rub or not.. Has anyone had any issues with this or any experience that you could shed some light on this for me? I'd appreciate it.
    ~If you look into this girls eyes, you will see that she will always find her way.

~Never make someone a priority when they only make you an option.

idk about the 275's, i run 265's on my 2wd, so theoretically the 275's should fit.

btw welcome to the site, and you only learn by asking questions

you will be fine with the 285's. people run them on their stock trucks all the time without issue and yours is a z71 anyway so it sits a little higher
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

The 285's have started rubbing, so now I'm trying to decide between 265's and 275's... Is there any purpose differences (aside from looks) between them?
    ~If you look into this girls eyes, you will see that she will always find her way.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying they couldn't align the front end because the torsion bars were cranked up? if that's the case you need to find another alignment shop, I have a 2.5" leveling kit and 305/50/20 tires and my shop had no problems aligning the front end. If you are giong to run at stock height then I'd recommend 275 width tires, hope this helps. Welcome to the GMTC!
    Last edited by adampaul1964; 05-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Adam

If the shop your goin to cant get the toe right because of the torsion bars than they need to go back to school, all they have to do is get the camber as close as posible because the torsion bars will affect that than you should be fine. I do alot of alignments, especially on trucks cause everyone else hates doing them. Also i would like to know if 265/75/16's will fit on a stock 2004 1500 4WD. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerado View Post
    If the shop your goin to cant get the toe right because of the torsion bars than they need to go back to school, all they have to do is get the camber as close as posible because the torsion bars will affect that than you should be fine. I do alot of alignments, especially on trucks cause everyone else hates doing them. Also i would like to know if 265/75/16's will fit on a stock 2004 1500 4WD. Thanks
    265/75/16's are only31.6" tall so yes they will fit with room to spare.
    Adam

Dealerships will normally only do work on systems that are at or can be brought into factory settings, this is because to adjust a system to work with non-factory specified settings they would be implying that the system works as advertised at those settings and this may leave them liable for any warranty work or damage caused to the vehicle.

Go to a regular tire shop, the dealership will only return the truck to factory settings and charge you for the adjustment, a tire shop will adjust your truck to run correctly at the settings you need and get the suspension and alignment operating correctly.
    With an adjustment those tires will fit without rubbing issues and the suspension can be tweaked so you wont be running on the inside of the tire.

To Blazerado, yes they will. Thats what i curently have on my 03. You can go to my pics and see what itll look like.

Also to all if you want to compare tire sizes several at a time you can go to this link. Its helped me alot.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
    2003 Silverado Z71 LS
    116,000 miles
    Debaged with cowl hood, for now

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Dealerships will normally only do work on systems that are at or can be brought into factory settings, this is because to adjust a system to work with non-factory specified settings they would be implying that the system works as advertised at those settings and this may leave them liable for any warranty work or damage caused to the vehicle.

Go to a regular tire shop, the dealership will only return the truck to factory settings and charge you for the adjustment, a tire shop will adjust your truck to run correctly at the settings you need and get the suspension and alignment operating correctly.
    With an adjustment those tires will fit without rubbing issues and the suspension can be tweaked so you wont be running on the inside of the tire.
    I'm here in Jacksonville, home of a bazillion car dealerships and automotive shops that as soon as I walk through the door, I swear the price doubles and the list of crap that I need done goes from 1 to 10. I hate when they try to take advantage of me, is anybody else in this area that can recommend a good shop that is honest and will actually do what they say they will? I like the dealership b/c they covered the U-joints I just had to replace and an accentuator (?) for my mirror under my extended warranty. (I have an SLE model and the mirrors tilt down while the truck is in reverse but the driver side mirror does everything except what it's supposed to).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast