GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2000 Burban has the Shakes... Help!!1

Just got my 2000 suburban's wheels rotated balanced and aligned. Now from 45 to 55 mph the steering wheel will shake out of my hands. It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to be set off by bumps. If this sounds like anything anyone has encountered before please let me know some info.

The Alignment was way out of Camber for a while would have messed the tires up that bad that it would do such a thing? Please any info would be helpful.

Check your front tires, alot of times after a rotation the front end will shake because the rear tires are either cupped or chopped. Drive over some sand or a dirt road and see if you see any low spots in the tread, they will be darker than the other spots.

Legend

Blog Entries

Is your suburban lifted? Stock tires?

Check that all the lugs are tighened and then take it back to the place you had the alignment done and tell them what the problem is. Might have had a lead balance weight fall off, might have a worn spot on your tire, like Blazerado said, might need some additional repair (worn ball joint?).

Did the shop give you the specs on the before and after of your alignment?
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Blog Entries

Set off by a bump sounds more like a failing part, tie rod end or ball joint. If the tire or wheel weight was the problem it would be pretty consistant. But still don't rule those out.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

I have aftermarket 16" on it and its not lifted. The alignment shop showed me the graphic on the tv screen of my alignment all wheels were in the red accept one and it was barely in the green. they didn't bother to show me the after specs though. and all the lugs are tight.

I checked the ball joints they have very small vertical cracks in both of the but there is no grease coming out of the rubber. They are caked in grease on the out side though. I jacked the truck up and did the vertical wheel wobble test" ( grab the top and bottom and push and pull ) there wasn't any excess movement.
    tie rods are caked in grease as well but the all rubber looks good. The sway bar link bushings are alittle compacted there was about 1/8 of rubber currled over the washer on the lower control arm .
    also I did notice the steering box is leaking fluid, I guess that would cause the steering to be a little less responsive

Go back (or to wherever you have your tires done at) and have them rebalance and rotate all 4 tires. Most shops that you buy your tires at will do this for free (as long as you bought the tires there). Could be as simple as a weight coming off.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

A bad tie rod will definitely cause a pretty bad shake. Check all your front end wear components. Do you know how to check your lower ball joints? Jack up the a-frame as close to the wheel as possible to lift the tire about an inch off the ground. Get a long bar - at least two feet - and lift the tire up. If there is excess movement, lower ball joint is gone. It's easier to do this with two people. One on the bar and one looking under the truck. While the tire is up, grab the top of the tire and try move it in and out while checking the upper ball joint. Then grab each side the tire, and move back and forth. Check you outer and inner tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm. Also, when you are shaking the tire, keep an eye on the wheel bearing. Repeat for the other side.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Same thing happened to me. Replaced wheel bearings. Had tires rotated and balanced and it shook more than ever. I replace all tie rods, stab arm, pitman arm and upper ball joint on the right side. Still shook even after all that and a front end alignment. Went back to the garage that balnced wheels and had them check the balance again. The from right tire was out 50 oz. Drives a little better but still shakes around 65 and up. I'll change out the upper control arm bushing next. Check out the RockAuto site for some good prices on MOOG products.

Jr. Apprentice

mine does it terribly because of bad idler and pitman arms, but it makes you start to freak out alittle

My 2001 Subrurban just started this too! Mine is so bad that it feels like the wheels are falling off! My wfe was driving our other car in front of me the other day and we were on the highway at about 75mph. I came to a bridge(the small bump where the highway and the bridges pavement meet) and this thing shook so bad that she saw both front wheels bouncing all over the place from her rearview mirror and the car next to me even slowed down to get away from me...thats how bad it shoook. I immediately begain slowing down and as soon as I slowed to about 50mph it was fine. This has happened a few times now. My truck is completely stock. I had a shop do an alignment and they said it was out a bit but the outside edges of my 1.5 yr old front tires are completely rounded over.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by