GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default 5.3L, 6.0L, 8.1L oil consumption

I have an '05 1500 z71 5.3L and I have been noticing that about every oil change I have to add 1 quart of oil about half way between its due. I have done some research with google and it seems like it is a pretty common thing. Anybody else having this problem?
    My first Chevy :great:
    2005 Silverado 1500 ECSB Z71 5.3L:
    3'' Aero Turbine exhaust with side dump
    6000k HID's Highs, lows and fogs with H-4 mod
    Rough Country Full Leveling Kit
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T's
    Dick Cepek DC1
    EFI Live
    more to come..

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

How many miles on the 2005 Silverado? What type of Oil do you use? How does the oil look when you check the stick before adding the extra Qt.? Do you haul, tow a lot?

Jeff
    JMoney02

Cool oil consumption

I have 05 Z-71,5.3 with 71,000 miles and no oil issues. I use Mobil 1 5/30 extended oil and run for 15,000 miles with a wix oil filter changed at ever 5,000 miles.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Well, it's really not a question of issues with the oil, but if he is the original owner, if not, then how was the truck taken care of. Did it have frequent oil changes, was it a work truck and did it get beat up, thats the issue, not the oil itself. Not good oil maint. causes oil burn, oil consumption, even a poor built engine from the factory and poor break in, even good maint. can have this effect on it. I believe and most times its true, you have ring problem and its causing your oil consumption.
    You can try the Reslone or other restore products with your oil change, but once you do, you need to use it until a rebuild or sale of the truck....

Jeff

Legend

Ok, so you change your oil every 15000 and your filter every 5000 how much oil do you add when you change the filter?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I noticed that I was "using" about 1 quart per 3000 miles- not bad for a 210,000 mile motor.However, when I looked more carefully,I see that the timing cover is oozing, and the crankcase pan might be leaking also.Not sure if the rear main seal is also oozing-can't really tell that from the oil pan gasket oozing.

My point, make sure you don't have some slight ooze around a gasket-common enough, and no big deal.

So exactly how many miles do you travel per quart used/lost ? 1 quart per 1000 miles isn't too great, but one quart per 5000 miles is no big deal.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Cool oil consumption

I add about 1/2 quart of oil which looks to be about what I loose changing the filter.

the 5.3's tend to leak at the back left corner on the pan making it look like a rear main leak (design flaw) if you can get a good look at the oil pan and see a light gray rtv looking stuff then you need to get a fel-pro 1 piece gasket and redo the seal the material that gm used on the 00 and up motors doesnt last long or keep its seal after about 100,000 on alot of em starts as a seep then goes to a drip and runs down the back of the pan onto the bellhousing and looks like a rear main seal leak once it gets worse and alot of people are misdiagnose it and having to pay alot out of pocket rear main requires trans removal :P

Jr. Mechanic

My truck has 74k on it right now and i bought it with 64k. I have owned it for about 6 months now. I have googled it and it comes up with a lot of hits of people having the same problem. I thinking maybe the rings are bad? I don't do any towing or hauling. I run 5w-30 valvoline synthetic but i think i might 10w-30 to see what happens and a can of BG MOA.

Jr. Mechanic

Going off the miles that i have put on since my last oil change it is about a quart every 4500 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by