GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM Approved Engine Oils

Interesting list from Wal Mart to Sams to Castrol to some off the wall stuff but missing was many of the boutique brand oils.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Does this mean that Roal Purple and Amsoil are not approved for GM vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Chevy View Post

All it means is they did not pay to be on a list. See the thing is almost all oils you pay for advertising not the product.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Black Chevy View Post
    I wondered about that myself, I have read that some brands dont want to waste the money to get the certification that other brands do maybe that is why but best thing would be to contact GM direct since they hold your warranty.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

GM or any manufacture has no say what so ever on any product you use on your vehicle. This goes for the oil to the tires you buy. The only way a manufacture can insist on you using their product is to supply it to you free of change. Refer to the Magnuson-Moss-Act 1974 or http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtmh
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't know everyone thinks that Maguson Moss act holds any weight in the real world, the bottom line is it's up to the dealer's discretion what voids your warranty. I have not heard one person say that it went in there favor, unless you have the money to pursue legal action against them. By the time you add in court costs and other stuff, it ends up not even being worth it in the end. I can't see the list right now, but I will check it out when I can.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I don't know everyone thinks that Maguson Moss act holds any weight in the real world, the bottom line is it's up to the dealer's discretion what voids your warranty. I have not heard one person say that it went in there favor, unless you have the money to pursue legal action against them. By the time you add in court costs and other stuff, it ends up not even being worth it in the end. I can't see the list right now, but I will check it out when I can.
    Yeah you never know what they are going to say I think we have all learned that the hard way when it come to warrantys.

I really thought it was interesting to read over the list there are some really cheap brands on there that I wouldnt have thought passed muster but I guess if they meet the certifcation then the price might not matter but Im still kinda warry.

There is a web sight that ranks oil by users and I was suprised to see how they all ranked out based off actual votes vs marketing there was not much difference in them.

I dont tell anyone what one brand they should buy when it comes to oil its all up the individual and the application we all have our faves.

I keep thinking I should get me a Royal purple franchise though and yes that was a joke I dont use them
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

It is not about passing or failing, it is who paid GM to be on the list.

Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

I run Castrol 10w 30 high mileage oil in my '99 Silverado. I get the the one in the green quart bottles, she runs like a charm.
    Keep It Smooth.
    KE5PVO