GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default need some advice with a brake light problem

I got an 87 suburban that i'm not getting any response from the taillights when the brake pedal is pushed. The turn signals and running lights at night come on. The hazards do not work. This is what i've done so far: checked the fuses first, tried replacing the brakelight switch after that, then tested the circuit to be sure it's still hot. None of that is the problem. Does that mean I have a short in that line after the fuse box? If that's the case, why isn't the turnsignals affected? Just searching for some suggestions and a little help. I'm headin back out to look at it again.

just a stupid question, did you replace the light bulbs?
    I had the same problem and it turned out that both brake light bulbs were bad.
    That a cheap check
    miller57

i checked that when i went back outside to work on it. it's a single bulb with two filaments and both looked liked they were intact. i guess i'll stop and pick some up and try that before handing it over to a mechanic and pay them to fix the problem... I hate it when i can't get it done myself

I agree, check the bulbs. Also while you have the bulbs out use a test light and check to see if you have a signal to the socket when you step on the brake pedal. If not, then it could be a short in a wire going back to the front of the vehicle. But since both brake lights aren't working and you have already replaced the switch, I would bet money on the turn signal switch. The brake light circuit on your vehicle is wired through the directional switch. That way if you are braking and turning at the same time the turn signal overrides the brake light signal. See the diagram. The white wire from the stoplight switch sends the signal to the directional switch and then it goes out on either the the green or yellow wire to the bulb.

There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

where ever the pipeline takes me in canada
    Blog Entries

Check for wire corrosion and usually leaves a green residue in your wires which means a faulty wire system just replace the wires should be good. Hopefully don't take my word on it but it has worked for me on some of my older vehicles.

I agree with unplugged. if you're not getting a signal to the sockets, check to make sure you're getting a signal out of the brake pedal switch. if you are, move on to make sure the signal's getting past the turn signal switch. I've got an '88 that the turn signal switch is getting worn out and you have to jiggle it a bit after using the turn signals or the left hand brake light won't work.
    Jim
    1988 Chevy V-10 Suburban 4x4, 350 TBI, 33x12.50's
    1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup, 250 inline six, 3 on the tree.