GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning chrome

Default Cleaning chrome

I just got a '00 GMC Sierra and the chrome is a little dirty. Anyone know what the best product for cleaning chrome is?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Plain ole chrome polish in the white can with the red lid still works about as good as any like $2 at wal mart
    or you can try Nevr Dull but it is not really for large surfaces.

Oh Flitz is great stuff but kinda pricey for some projects
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Thanks, I'm gonna try to clean it up,on my only day off,before I move at the end of the week. My apartment complex doesn't let me wash the truckin the parking lot.

I got the truck from my second oldest brother, who had been borrowing it from my oldest brother. My oldest brother just up and decided to sign the title over to me, so I'm not gonna say anything about the truck's condition to him.

So far I've fixed about 11 problems the truck had. Mostly asthetic things, but some other major things too. I won't list them unless you actually want t know.
    2010 Equinox LT

5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    Thanks, I'm gonna try to clean it up,on my only day off,before I move at the end of the week. My apartment complex doesn't let me wash the truckin the parking lot.

I got the truck from my second oldest brother, who had been borrowing it from my oldest brother. My oldest brother just up and decided to sign the title over to me, so I'm not gonna say anything about the truck's condition to him.

So far I've fixed about 11 problems the truck had. Mostly asthetic things, but some other major things too. I won't list them unless you actually want t know.
    Rock on! A free truck! WOW that is too cool

Hope there wasnt anything too bad to fix, did you get it all squared away?
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Never Dull and a lot of elboe grease probably works as good as any other product. Lightly buff the surfaces with a clean dry rag after using the Never Dull to remove any oily resedue left behind.

A free truck that only needs cleaning and minor repairs, sounds like a great deal.
    Probably time to do something nice for your older brother since he was so generous.
    I'd probably have to think twice about ever lending it to the other brother seeing how he takes care of things people lend to him.

When you get tired of all that rub'n, take it to your local powder coat shop! Considering how much you paid for the truck it would be well worth it.

2009 Crew Cab Colorado
    Lowered 3" front and back
    Xenon body kit (sides only) with stock bumpers
    Snug Fit smooth side cap
    Custom paint
    Custom powder coated Boss 20" rims
    Toyo tires

Well I picked up some Mother's Chrome Polish. That stuff works great! It even cleaned the plastic bumpers and bug guard. Here is a list of things I've fixed on the truck:

INSIDE
    1. the door speakers, the old ones' excursions were dry-rotted and the speakers sounded like crap.
    2. The subs that I had installed a year ago, my brother cut my big box in half and made two littler boxes, which messed up the wiring.
    3. My brother had left an unopened can of coke on the dash and it exploded in the heat. He made little attempt to clean it. With a little upholstery cleaner, I got it all out.
    4. Fixed the center console. The latch wouldn't open, so I took it off and greased the components and now its smooth as butter.
    5. Cleaned every bit of the interior from the carpet to the headliner.

OUTSIDE
    1. Fixed the turn signal. When I hit the brake the turn signal bulbs would come on, but not blink. Some dumbass did a half-ass trailer wiring job. I found the short which was due to the trailer wiring.
    2. Ripped out all the **** wiring my brothers did when putting in some autozone air horns and fog lights. I'm going to reuse the fog lights because I like them, but they have a short in them, I just haven't found it yet.
    3. Gave it three thorough washes to make sure I got all the dirt off of them.
    4. Cleaned all the chrome.
    5. Cleaned the rims since they were black as old diesel oil.
    6. Put on new wipers.

DRIVETRAIN
    1. Did a t-tech, which is hooking a machine up to a trans line and letting the torque converter push out all the old fluid while simultaneously pushing new fluid in. The fluid was brown so I figured I would do all of this before I leave Jiffy Lube when I move.
    2. New fuel filter. The old one was actually brand new, but I didn't know, and with 158K I wasn't going to take a chance.
    3. The power steering wasn't touching the stick, so I I had to add 1 and a half bottles of power steering fluid.
    4. Cleaned the air filter. It is blue, but it was so dirty it was brown.
    5. Topped off the rear diff.
    6. Greased all 7 fittings. They were all empty. I did this, and it seems to have eliminated most of the vibration at interstate speed.
    2010 Equinox LT

Legend
    Blog Entries

Mother's is good stuff if you like manual labor, I got over that stuff a long time ago and moved on. Right now I use strong arm spray on the really bad places, and I also use Wenol for the finer jobs like billet or aluminum. Congratulations on you new truck, you can't beat the price. Good luck with the wiring project, that is always the worst part of any projects.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Mothers or Turtle wac chrome cleaner and the power ball work really great. I have used both on my 10+ and it looks like brand new again.

Flat triple layered piece of aluminum foil with coca-cola, takes even rust off of chrome!!
    Schrub!:sign0011:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast