GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Some cities were sending out tickets for people running yellow lights and taking the fines that people paid. This was pure BS and a bunch of people would not even send anything in, there was a lawsuit with one city warning NOT to issue warrents. The city is still sending them out, stupid people will pay.

wow that really sucks. i hate it when the government tries to get even the smallest amount of money out of folks.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Looks like I missed my window to fight it. They only give you a short period to mail in the paperwork to fight it (99% of the letter is about how you are guilty and how you should just pay and here's where to send the money, etc." But you can send something in for an administrative review, but if this is a ticket then you should always be allowed to fight it, I mean what if you're out of town, you're just automatically guilty? This is really more than a scam, it's unconstitutional.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Yup, here in Charlotte when we had the cameras, the citations were non-contestable (not sure thats a word) but on the plus side they were a fine only, so there was no points on your license or higher inssurance rates. The city made it known from the get go that the cameras were there to make more money for the city. Glad they are gone.

Sorry for your ticket

Looks like there is some backlast, there is a guy in College Station trying to put a bill before the voters to ban red-light cameras in Texas. That bill would go before the voters and it's almost certain to be a slam-dunk against red-light cameras.

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/46864312.html

Some dude is suing the city of College Station and trying to get a referendum on the dox for that city i guess.

http://www.civilviolation.com/

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/27/2784.asp

At least two Texas cities are openly defying the will of the state House of Representatives which earlier this month voted 107-36 to ban red light cameras. Texas lawmakers, unlike their counterparts in other states, decided to allow cities with existing red light camera contracts to keep issuing citations until those contracts expired on their own. The proposed law would then prohibit any new contracts after June 1.

This week, the cities of Arlington and Southlake took a slap at that generous exception. Arlington's city council on Tuesday unanimously decided to change the city's five-year contract with American Traffic Solutions into a twenty-year contract. Long-term photo contracts are rare in the US as cities -- such as
    Scottsdale, Arizona and Washington, DC -- prefer to have the ability to switch contractors to ensure a competitive bidding process. Arlington decided to bind future councils for nearly twenty years after a debate that lasted a full twenty-five seconds.

"I'd like to make a motion to approve 7C5 with the additional stipulation that we limit staff's ability to negotiate and execute the modification with American Traffic Solutions to include an out for the city," the only city councilman to speak on the matter said.

The Southlake City Council likewise ordered the city attorney to work on a long-term contract extension with Australia's Redflex Traffic Systems. If the experience of other states is any guide, however, Arlington and Southlake could find their clever move backfire. In a similar circumstance last month, a number of Montana state lawmakers were incensed by cities attempting to adopt new contracts before a legislative deadline for a camera ban containing a large exception.

"We saw a couple municipalities rush to get contracts signed before the effective date of the bill -- which I found offensive," Montana state Senator John Brueggeman (R-Polson) said.

Montana legislators fired back by stripping the exceptions and imposing
    a total ban.

Arlington city leaders are not only defying the state House, they may also be defying the will of voters. Although the city's residents have never had the opportunity to vote on the issue of red light cameras directly, they came close in February 2003. Fifty-eight percent of voters had shot down a bond package known as Proposition 6, the first time a bond proposal for expanding street capacity had ever been rejected in the city. The most controversial aspect of the proposition was setting aside extra money for surveillance "traffic cameras" which critics at the time said would serve as a precursor to red light cameras. Nine months later, the bond measure was split into two distinct provisions and placed once again on the ballot. When asked in a separate vote to spend $400,000 for "traffic management cameras," 64 percent of voters said "no."

The full Texas Senate must now weigh in on the question of whether red light cameras should be banned. If state senators disagree with the House attempt to ban cameras, a conference committee will be called to work out a compromise measure before sending the final bill to the governor for his signature.

A copy of the Arlington proposal for a longer contract is available in a 30k PDF file at the source link below.

Just FYI, I still have not paid this "civil violation" and I don't have any plan on doing so.

From the information that I have seen, they plan for a certain number of non-payments and they just let them go, trying to collect on these is not worth their time. They'll spend $50 over time to try to collect $75.

I havent had a red light ticket, yet, but if I get one I'll handle it the same as yourself.
    After looking at much of the available information I have a real problem with a civilian company sending me tickets for legal infractions. To me this sends a message that anyone desireing to be their own authority can begin arresting and ticketing people for their own made-up laws.

I have issues with the local toll authority issueing tickets for toll booth jumpers also, the toll road and attending equipment was purchased from the city so they wouldnt have to spend the money to run it, yet the city/state repairs the roads and the toll authority collects tolls and issues tickets to toll jumpers, is this a private owned road or a public owned road?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Looks like I missed my window to fight it. They only give you a short period to mail in the paperwork to fight it (99% of the letter is about how you are guilty and how you should just pay and here's where to send the money, etc." But you can send something in for an administrative review, but if this is a ticket then you should always be allowed to fight it, I mean what if you're out of town, you're just automatically guilty? This is really more than a scam, it's unconstitutional.
    They give you 15 days to contest it and they recommend that you give 10 days to have your payment arrive, thus giving you 5 days to get the payment in the mail. That's absurd, seriously ... not only are they speeding up the yellow-lights to trap people into running the red, but they are then saying that the money has to ARRIVE in 15 days or less or they will give you an extra $25 fine.

What a scam, makes me so mad just thinking about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by