GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1991 k20 - info needed

I just got this big dog. It's supercharged and runs well. However it appears to have an extra set of brackets for a 4 shock set up in the front. Does anybody know if this a stock set up? The parts listings only call for 2 shocks in the front

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but Chevy never made a dual shock setup from the factory. Now there is the possibility that the truck was a conversion truck, that was sent out from the dealer to get upgraded. A lot of conversion places do the dual shock setup, when I bought my Regency truck that was an option that I could have gotten when my truck was new.

Welcome to the club by the way, have fun!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

My 90 1/2 ton has 4 shocks up front as did my 84 they are both stock set ups, try LMCtrucks.com, or if you have a decent 4x4 shop in your area they can hook you up.

Do you have any pics? K20 sounds like a solid axle job. Suburban? And GM put 4 shocks on many solid axle trucks. I think it was part of their "Heavy Half" package in the mid 80's. I don't know the value of it, considering that a one ton rear only has one shock. Anyhow, I was putting shocks on my 97 the other day and was thinking dual shocks would be nice for the winter when the plow is on.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Well, if i believe correctly, it doesn't come with it stock. But, don't quote me on this. Does your truck have a lift on it?
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Default Shocking News

Well OK. Replys were split about even (if you include my 2 cents). I seem to remember seeing a K5 Blazer with factory 4 shocks back in 1979 (I was a Chevrolet Service Writer at the time). Mine is not modified or lifted and it is a solid axle (I'll get pics up as soon as the laptop is revived). I'm wondering if anybody knows where this type of info could be found.?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Well I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but Chevy never made a dual shock setup from the factory. Now there is the possibility that the truck was a conversion truck, that was sent out from the dealer to get upgraded. A lot of conversion places do the dual shock setup, when I bought my Regency truck that was an option that I could have gotten when my truck was new.

Welcome to the club by the way, have fun!
    Oh yes they did!! Suburbans from the 88-91 era came with two shocks per side up front!! BAM!!!
    Gotcha Amy!!
    Last edited by vncj96; 05-28-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Default Ah Ha, found it

Landslide, you were right, LMCTruck.com had it. It was a factory "Quad Shock" option 1981 to 1991.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=142

It uses a common lower mount yet 2 seperate upper mount locations making it necessary to use two different shock lenghts (kind'a like a Harley motor).

I knew I'd come to the right place to find out. Thanks

By the way, for your viewing enjoyment, the attached photo shows me auto crossing my Mothers '74 Suburban 454 Trailering Special. Took top time of the day in stock at Star Dust Raceway in Las Vegas, Nevada that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burb.jpg  
    Last edited by 2VT; 05-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well see I am not familiar with the OLDER trucks so I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but I know on the newer trucks they don't have dual shock setups from the factory. We have a huge gap in vehicles at our house, we go from 1930-1966..................1990-2008. I will research next time, I apologize. Glad you found the info.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Well see I am not familiar with the OLDER trucks so I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but I know on the newer trucks they don't have dual shock setups from the factory. We have a huge gap in vehicles at our house, we go from 1930-1966..................1990-2008. I will research next time, I apologize. Glad you found the info.
    No worries, all in good fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by