GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    where ever the pipeline takes me in canada
    Blog Entries

i got that in my truck and same as any other after market filter thats on the market
    08 LTZ 5.3L
    ext cab reg box
    ranch hand bumper
    74 gal slip tank in box
    magnaflow off the side in front of pass tire
    green preformance cold air intake
    airrade spacer
    bully dog tuner
    alpine nav deck JL10inch stealth sub and 350watt amp

how is throwing maf codes in 3 different chevy's within 2 months of installing k&n's urban myth?? these were all new filters purchased at the ap store and factory oiled. i still have em in all my vehicles but i wouldn't put another in anything i own. in all 3, i've had to use crc maf cleaner to clean them within 2 months. its just fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-KandN-F...sor?&id=791218

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

The oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces) and is a critical component of our filtration technology. There is nothing unusual about the use of oil as a tacking agent to improve air filter efficiency. In fact, certain Ford Motorcraft and Fram disposable air filters are treated with oil. This make us wonder if it is only the oil treatment from reusable lifetime air filters that is alleged cause a vehicle problem? The idea that oil comes off our filter throughout its life is truly ridiculous. Just like oil treated disposable air filters, once our oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. We have even conducted a test with an over oiled K&N air filter in which we flowed 1,000 cubic feet of air per minute for over twelve hours (few cars or truck could generate even 500 cubic feet of air flow). The use of an absolute filter confirmed that no oil came off the K&N filter tested, even in these harsh conditions.

We have tested many MAF sensors claimed to be damaged. We can fully diagnose their condition and likely cause of failure. For a full discussion of our MAF sensor test protocol and findings, see K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Results and Findings.

Not one of these suspected MAF sensors sent in for laboratory evaluation was shown to have failed due to contamination from K&N filter oil.

We are the solution

We are so confident about our testing and the quality of our product that we offer a Consumer Protection Pledge. So if you ever get in a bind with a dealership, call us because we are the solution.

Other Information:
    An In-Depth Look at How Mass Air Flow Sensors Work

And for the record I do not use K&N filters and I am not compensated by them or any other company I just don't like seeing misinformation perpetuated.
    97 Tahoe 5.7L, automatic, 37" tires on 20 "rims, 8" of lift
    02 avalanche 2500, 8.1L

You saw what they said contact them and let them check it out for ya they are offering maybe they can help you.

"We have tested many MAF sensors claimed to be damaged. We can fully diagnose their condition and likely cause of failure.
    We are so confident about our testing and the quality of our product that we offer a Consumer Protection Pledge. So if you ever get in a bind with a dealership, call us because we are the solution."
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

I'll have to keep those in mind when I decide to get a CAI. Thanks for the info.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

Sr. Apprentice

This is a photo of how good K&N filters. we have had to have several MAF cleanings since going to K&N. Never had to with disposables. K&N's are now in the trash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 033.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	2920
    Scott
    Kalispell, MT :zzz:

2004 Chevy Suburban-Bone Stock
    2006 Chvey Silverado 1500HD

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    This is a photo of how good K&N filters. we have had to have several MAF cleanings since going to K&N. Never had to with disposables. K&N's are now in the trash.

Right where they belong... Not to many people that drive diesels use any sort of filter with oil. They just don't go together due to the amount of air a diesel draws in and they do not filter well causing turbo damage. On a gas motor the lack of filtering just makes your oil dirtier faster and causes excess wear.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post

Is that the one with all the fine dust from the area where you live?

I though we had talked about that and the use of a pre filter for those types of environments.

You have to choose the right product for your area there is no one fits all when it comes to any filter that is why you see for example several FRAM filters listed for different conditions.

If you look at even the lowly lawn mower they use a foam filter over the paper due to the amount of dust/sand they are exposed to.

http://autoparts.thecarconnection.co...ir-filter-wrap

K&N DRYCHARGER AIR FILTER WRAP, ROUND, TAPERED, BLACK -- Base ID 7.5, Top ID 4.5, Height 9, Extends The Life Of The Filter Especially When Used In Extremely Dusty Conditions, Made From Nylon Material, It Traps Dirt Particles With Minimal Restriction To Airflow Of The Filter,
    Last edited by Dr_Zero; 06-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Or just use a cellulose or nanofiber media and no dust gets through.

Feel free to use what ever media you choose like I said I have no interest in what you buy I am not affiliated with any company.

I try to offer the information and the links to back up where it comes from when ever possible so each individual can make his/her own choice.

Yall have fun now, I'm out.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    Is that the one with all the fine dust from the area where you live?

I though we had talked about that and the use of a pre filter for those types of environments.

You have to choose the right product for your area there is no one fits all when it comes to any filter that is why you see for example several FRAM filters listed for different conditions.

If you look at even the lowly lawn mower they use a foam filter over the paper due to the amount of dust/sand they are exposed to.

http://autoparts.thecarconnection.co...ir-filter-wrap

K&N DRYCHARGER AIR FILTER WRAP, ROUND, TAPERED, BLACK -- Base ID 7.5, Top ID 4.5, Height 9, Extends The Life Of The Filter Especially When Used In Extremely Dusty Conditions, Made From Nylon Material, It Traps Dirt Particles With Minimal Restriction To Airflow Of The Filter,
    This was from a drop in filter-no way to use a pre-filter that I know of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12