GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Gear change question

hey fellas newbie here. i have an 05 silvy 4 wheel drive with the 5.3 high output engine...and ive got a k and n CAI and aftermarket flowmaster and even have the hp tuners program and ever since i got the truck its always been pretty quick but will not break the tires loose for nothin. i recently found out that it has the dankest gear ratio possible for a truck ....3.42's. a buddy of mine has about the same truck with 4.10 gears in it and a stock everything and can burn rubber on demand. i was just basically wanting to throw this out there to any of you guys and see if it is that really high ratio that is killing my low-end get up and go. i got stuck pretty bad a while back in some deep quick sand type mud haha and in 4 high the truck just boggs down and does not want to turn the wheels. in fact i threw it in reverse and floored it and it barely moved the tires. I do have a winch and a bumper on the front of it and some 32 inch bf muds but it just dont have any balls down low. im thinking about going to a 4.10 or a 4.56 gear set and (i am aware that i will have to replace the front and back gears and i am VERY aware of the price of doing so haha) i just want to be able to pull out of somewhere and leave some rubbery trails on the asphalt. the engine runs great and the tranny is solid so i guess my main questions are 1) is the 3.42 gear ratio the culprit here? 2) would going to 4.10s or 4.56's help get some low end balls and torque and 3) would 4.10s or 4.56s be better for the most torque and acceleration? i do understand that going to a lower gear will raise highway rpms and possibly hurt milage etc......any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks bryan

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. I have 3.73s in mine and it has plenty of low end torque. 4.10s will definately make a difference, but should still be liveable. 4.56s would really knock your mileage down. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Jr. Apprentice

thanks man thatll work. im just a kid in college and a little tight on budget and im just debating on taking in all the information i can, and try to put them in myself or just try to save up and have somebody do it in a shop for me. where i live, the only place in town that even wants to do it is an offroad shop and they want $1500 labor to put them in the front and back...and thats with me bringing them all of the parts! haha man thats alot.

YES! 3.42s are the culprit

32" tires would work well with 4.10:1 ratio. You should be able to spin tires with that.

I have all of the same mods you do on the same truck and engine. I drove with 3.42s and 35" tires for over a year. It sucked!!! Going to 4.10 will be great for you and it will keep your MPG right. 4.56 is what I currently run with 35" tires and I can lay plenty of rubber down. 4.10s will work for you.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

Jr. Apprentice

hell yeah thanks man its nice to have some advice from some people who know and have experience. i cant believe they would put 3.42's in a TRUCK! hahah it's a nice highway cruiser but i want some torque!!!! yeah man ima go with that 4.10 setup i appreciate the 2 cents. i just cant believe how much the labor cost is to put them in but i hope it will be worth it. wish me luck.

I got 35 tires on my 97 chevy 4x4 and just installed 4.56's and my MPG went up. I can drive an extra day to work on a tannk of gas. ( 50 more miles a tank) Most of my driving is stop and go

Quote Originally Posted by 12pack View Post
    I got 35 tires on my 97 chevy 4x4 and just installed 4.56's and my MPG went up. I can drive an extra day to work on a tannk of gas. ( 50 more miles a tank) Most of my driving is stop and go
    Indeed, they are delicious!