GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cheap/easy ways to get a bit more power out of my 2.8 92?

Hey guys. I'm wondering if there's any bolt on kits like ram/cold air, or simple things I could do to get a bit more ummf outta my 92 sonoma 2.8 L. I've looked on ebay and such and they have all kinds of cold/ram air kits for the 4.3L But I'm unsure if they'll work on the 2.8. anything you guys can suggest?
    2010 Sierra Nevada Edition
    4.8L Ext. cab - Black Z85 4x4 G80
    Shaved a couple badges and 4x4 stickers, DeeZee Red label Low Pro gloss black Brite plate cross box,DeeZee gloss black Brite plate bed rail caps , K&N,more to come.

Sr. Apprentice

Call AEM and talk to Tom. They didn't have a cold air intake for my motor in their catalog or website so I called and he took care of me. If they have something that will work he will be the guy who knows.

Corsa might have an exhaust for your truck and if your in the right state you can combine that with eliminating the cat and throwing a dynomax bullet muffler in there. Dynomax bullets have the least resistance out of all of the best known mufflers out there right now.

You can maybe throw a nice set of spark plugs and wires in there, other than that there isn't much you can do with a 2.8

Mike

Legend

I had a 91 sonoma GT, I put dual exhaust on it with two glass packs, and had the tips come straight out the back just like the GMC Typhoon set-up(it sounded sweet). DONT spend the money for a corsa, or ANY kit exhaust, it simply isnt worth it on that little engine, you wont get anything noticable out of it. Go to spectra.com and get a universal intake kit. They will send you a kit with a bunch of pieces in it and you put it together to make it work for your car, then you send back what you dont need and either weld the pieces together or you can send them back to spectra and they can weld and polish it for you. They also have a plastic kit as well. You have a tiny motor that doesnt have much to gain by spending big dollars on intake and exhaust.
    Last edited by vncj96; 05-28-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

I would agree with all of that. But the dynomax bullets are worth it. They are only 25 dollars and they really are so much better than the competitors

Spark plugs and wires, noticed more oomph off the line in my buddies truck. Clean your air filter, high flow cats, and a high flow exhaust set up. And a good cleaning of your motor will help! That is if you have the tools, and area to do the clean up.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

sadly I don't have the knowhow or tools to take apart my engine. I'm a carpenter by trade, I also figured there was not much I could do to the engine to gain any decent power..

Now the next question.. how much work/ $$ is involved in swapping a 4.3 with my 2.8? new tranny? driveshaft? rearend? everything? Almost making it not worth it?

Sr. Apprentice

A 4.3 s10 is so cheap that I couldn't imagine it being worth it

Cool Cheap/easy ways to get a bit more power out of my 2.8 92?

Check out GMs HT3.4 V-6 crate motor. I believe its a direct replacement for your 2.8. It has a 24month/50,000 mile warranty. Its got 50hp and 46ft. lb of torque than your 2.8. It comes as a long block. Check the years it fits as I not sure if it goes up to 1992.

Legend

If you truely want to swap just swap the 350 in, they fit just perfectly and there are so many companies that make cheap kits for.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would agree with the 350 swap versus buying the 4.3, I have the 4.3 and I think when it was new it might have gotten 190hp but it's peppy. Summit Racing sells all the engine mounts and swapping hardware for that application, I bet you could do that cheaper and you would have a nice small block S-10 to run around in. That's what I am doing to mine once it finally explodes, maybe even a 383???
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap