GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default leaf spring scrunching

2 weeks ago i noticed a rubbery scrunching noise as i got in and out of my truck. now it is loud and horrid sounding. if i pull up on a curb or something it makes that sound loud as crap. its like a rubbery scrunch coming from the drivers side back fenderwell. it sound like its coming from the rubber bushing on the front of the leaf spring where it attaches to the frame. does that bushing get dry our wear out? ive never heard of this happening but i pretty sure its coming from there. i wonder if i can take the leaf spring off of that post where it attaches a put some real good lube or grease on it to quiet it down? anybody have this happen before or any insight?

thanks
    bryan

yes, bushings can go bad and you can grease them, but that may just be a temp fix for it. You can get yourself a set of new bushings for relatively cheap somewhere. look at energy suspension products
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Quote Originally Posted by Pete95Sierra View Post
    yes, bushings can go bad and you can grease them, but that may just be a temp fix for it. You can get yourself a set of new bushings for relatively cheap somewhere. look at energy suspension products
    X2 on the new bushings. The poly bushings are the way to go. They don't wear out as fast as rubber although they are more expensive. They can all be changed in an afternoon. A bottle jack and a couple of 2X4 blocks make easy work of it.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Jr. Apprentice

hey man about those leaf spring bushings...do i have to remove the fuel tank and all of that crap to get them off? ive got a repair manual that says i have to take the fuel tank and stuff off to remove the bolts from the drivers side leaf spring. is it that hard to do?

Quote Originally Posted by beenurman View Post
    hey man about those leaf spring bushings...do i have to remove the fuel tank and all of that crap to get them off? ive got a repair manual that says i have to take the fuel tank and stuff off to remove the bolts from the drivers side leaf spring. is it that hard to do?
    yea i'm afraid that may be the case because you may not be able to pull the bolts all the way out b/c they will hit the gas tank. it is an annoying process to drop the tank, but doable