GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Slight knock on start up - not every time

Just recently, I've noticed slight knocking, no more than two or three seconds, when I first start up the Burb.

I've checked oil levels, everything seems to be fine. I use quality oil. Normal runs between oil changes I don't see much oil consumption, if any at all.

Doing some research, do I have the dreaded piston slap? If so I suspect there is nothing I can do about it, but just wondering if any others experience this. My ride is a '98 with 95k on the odometer, so pretty low mileage for the year.

I've had 3.1, 3.4, and 5.7s and they all had piston slap.
    97 burb k1500

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post
    Just recently, I've noticed slight knocking, no more than two or three seconds, when I first start up the Burb.

I've checked oil levels, everything seems to be fine. I use quality oil. Normal runs between oil changes I don't see much oil consumption, if any at all.

Doing some research, do I have the dreaded piston slap? If so I suspect there is nothing I can do about it, but just wondering if any others experience this. My ride is a '98 with 95k on the odometer, so pretty low mileage for the year.
    My 6L does that on cold mornings. They say it's normal. The one and only thing you can do is use good oil and filter. Remember the first few cranks are the critical ones and 5-40 oil will fill your oil system faster than 10-40. So use good oil and stay away from cheap filters.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Lots of good info on the forums here about piston slap. Just search engine knock or piston slap. GM came up with some coated pistons for customers who complained loud enough, probably easier just to wait for the engine to warm up before you drive it. My dad had a 396 Chevelle and he convinced the dealership to repair the engine to eliminate the noise.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by Kraziken View Post

I have the exact same thing, usually on cold mornings.. mine's a 99 sierra with 314 km's... its nothing serious though so no worries!
    99 GMC Sierra 2500
    Chipped 5.3L with Airaid Intake/Throttle Body Spacer
    Dual Cat-Back Flowmasters
    18'' MKW M28's on 32" Fuzion XTI tires
    8000K HID Kit, Cleared corners all around
    2 10" alpine subs with alpine amp

Jr. Apprentice

My 1999 Suburban with the 5.7 and 125,000 miles started doing this at some point in the last 30,000 or so. I am waiting for it to either keep going or have catastrophic failure. I have been using Castroil 10-40 and a Fram filter for 7 years.