GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Intake Gasket

Sr. Apprentice

Default Intake Gasket

My '95 Suburban with 350 has developed an intake gasket leak, I believe. I can see a puddle of black, sticky goo smelling a bit of coolant on top in the valleys. Once in awhile I'll see a puddle up front on the ground . The intake I see is aluminum. Will I have trouble with this? Do they warp? Someone said they might. I have not seen this overheat. I am thinking I can do this myself......I sure can't afford to have it done.

Before you go ripping into it I would verify the leak with a radiator tester. You can borrow one from Auto Zone. You might just find the leak is a thermostat housing or a heater hose connection. When you do the test, do it cold as it won't leak once it warms up. Have fun!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Sr. Apprentice

It's for sure an intake leak. I started on this last night. Not a fun project. I'm not fond of having to climb into the engine compartment. Anyway, how do I remove the heater connection from the back of the manifold? That's a puzzler! I also couldn't seem to find a wrench that would loosen that distributor. I'm guessing there is a special one for that? Thanks,Scott

Well you got me on that one . Maybe someone will chime in about the heater hose. As far as I can remember the distributor is held down with a clip and bolt. Are you saying the bolt is not a hex head bolt?

Sr. Apprentice

No, it's a regular bolt. I just can't get a wrench there. There must be a special tool to get to it. I hope, anyway!
    The heater hose (I assume that is what it is) is metal with a plastic clip connection sort of deal. Looks real easy to break.....at 9:30 at night with no stores open.....

Yes there's a special distributor wrench for that or you could use a crow foot wrench. Before you buy one make sure of the size as GM used both 9/16 and 15mm.
    I'm not sure about your heater hose. Maybe someone else will chime in. I can't look at my truck because my wife took it! <G>

squeeze the plastic tabs together on the clip and pull heater pipe out of fitting.
    97 burb k1500

Sr. Apprentice

.....all while leaning into the engine compartment, resting one hand on the driver's valve cover, my right hand, the one I'm best with......Can someone hold me above the truck for awhile.....?I'm sure as new trucks go this one is probably easy to work on.Probably.....

Sr. Apprentice

While at the auto parts store the man behind the counter opened my eyes to something else. Something I just don't have the funds to do anything with right now. He said my distributor bushings are going out. Perfect. When I told him that the inside of the cap looked like it had been hot and that there were grooves cut in it from the rotor he knew exactly what was wrong. I'm hoping I can make it down the road some with it yet.

That sucks! I hope you have better luck soon and get everything fixed quickly and easily.
    Mike - OREGON

2001 chevy silverado 4x4. 5.3L, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo MT's, 17" Weld Racing wheels, arma coating on rocker panels. No exhaust after cat. Pioneer stereo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by