GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1998 Chevy Burb Windshield Wiper motor [Expired Topic]

A little over 1 year ago, my windshield wipers started having a mind of their own. They would work fine in the rain for about 45 mins, and then stop in the vertical position (or sometimes right in the middle of the windshield). Then would start working again in delayed mode, even if I had it on “low” or “High”. Sometimes I would turn them totally off and it would still run for another 5-10 minutes.

I ran the problem on an internet search engine, and found where that exact problem was recalled for 1994-1997 Suburbans, along with many other GM trucks. About 1.77 million GM pickup trucks, SUVs and vans were recalled for faulty wiper circuit boards and motor covers. This recall is an extension of a windshield wiper replacement program that GM conducted in 1998. But they failed to include the 1998 year model in the study. You can read the article here---> GM Recall

The thing is, the Windshield Wiper Motor, on my truck, has a factory decal (complete with a barcode) that clearly has the date “12/15/1997 on it. I called GM and asked if my truck would fall under this recall even though my truck is a 1998, it was built in December of 1997 with 1997 parts. My answer… NOPE!!! Grrrrrrr

They did send me a free oil change voucher for my troubles. ~~~Whoopdie Doo~~~

So with that… I have 2 questions;

1. How do I get them to fess up this part on my truck is the EXACT one they have recalled?
    2. How hard is it to change out this faulty part and will it cost me my 1st born to fix it?

Thanks Y'all,
    Take Care,

~QTee

try a different dealer in your area, they may be more sympathetic, if not try a new wiper motor. but i belive that the problem in the recall was a board in the motor that was the problem not the motor itself. so you may be able to get the recall kit from the dealer. just a thought. if not buy a new motor at local parts store.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

just checked one of the other sites i'm on and there are 2 recalls involved your truck should be included in the second recsall. here is the thread

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ghlight=wipers

[quote="84fiero123"]just checked one of the other sites i'm on and there are 2 recalls involved your truck should be included in the second recsall. here is the thread

Thank You!!!! Your a Doll!!!

~QTee

I agree with trying another dealer, however in addition to that, I find that dropping names, during your conversation with the service manager helps. example: I went to XY dealership about this, and they looked at me like I was nuts, and dismissed the problem. You can bet that the service manager isn't going to let you say that about them. They'll go the extra mile to earn your future business. :D
    (Taken from prior experience....)