GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Master Mechanic

Default the guys at the tire shops are evil

okay heres the story..last friday afternoon i went up a trail with quite a bit of rocks and washouts from all the rain weve had over the years.just wasting time til we go camping later that night.made it to the top of the mountain, had a beer, picked up some firewood, and went through some mud.after about an hour we head back down.some where along the way down i picked up a SHARP rock in my rear pass. side tire..drove to walmart pulled the rock out and it poked a very tiny hole in it and filled it with 3 cans of fix-a-flat.didnt work.we were out in the parkin lot messin with it for and hour and a half when i decided just put the spare on and get it patched tomorrow.went camping for the night.next morning i take my tire to 3 different tire shops and each has their own excuse as to why they cant fix it.these tires have approx. 12000 miles on them and i really didnt wanna have to order another.the least i wanted them to do was pull the tire off the wheel and at least look to see what the real damage was..
    the excuses i got were:
    Walmart doesnt mess with tires that big....(the size is 285/75)..what the hell?
    that holes too big
    and last but not least, we cant fix it because you put fix-a-flat in it

however, each place was very quick to order me a brand new tire!(including walmart that "doesnt mess with tires that big")i constantly heard "we can order that and have it for ya monday"

so after driving all over town with a horrible hangover i bought a plug kit for 5 bucks, used one plug, filled it with 45psi and put it back on the truck..no leaking at all..
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

dont you just love tire shops. they are always fast to order what you need. good to hear you got it pluged and holding air. i always have a plug kit in my truck. learned lessons the hard way.

Master Mechanic

i hear you on that one.ill be keeping some in my toolbox from now on.i figured i wouldve learned by now.ive got 2 different friends whove punch holes in their tires on that same damn trail

That's why I love ACDelco out here. They are quick and they'll do whatever they can to get you back on the road. Had a 3" in nail go into my tire and I was in and out of there in about 30 min and haven't had a problem. I did have Walmart say they don't work on 35's and they didn't have any in the store but could order. Glad you ended up fixing your tire.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

those speedy tire change places always seem to try and screw you over, that being said i work at a full service shop,
    did they take the tire off the rim and tell you that the hole was to big or just look at the out side of the tire, that would be the only legitimate excuse, as for the fix a flat the stuff is junk the hole has to be smaller than a pin hole to work

I warn all that pluging tires are bad for the tire there great for on the trail but after you get back to town have a shop plug patch it

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Legend

I will say though that even my shop that I have gone to for the last 16 years says to stay away from fix-a-flat. the gunk inside can make it difficult to get the tire to sit on the bead correctly if its left in too long, and that it can ruin newer wheels with coatings on them.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by redneckarmyMP View Post
    okay heres the story..last friday afternoon i went up a trail with quite a bit of rocks and washouts from all the rain weve had over the years.just wasting time til we go camping later that night.made it to the top of the mountain, had a beer, picked up some firewood, and went through some mud.after about an hour we head back down.some where along the way down i picked up a SHARP rock in my rear pass. side tire..drove to walmart pulled the rock out and it poked a very tiny hole in it and filled it with 3 cans of fix-a-flat.didnt work.we were out in the parkin lot messin with it for and hour and a half when i decided just put the spare on and get it patched tomorrow.went camping for the night.next morning i take my tire to 3 different tire shops and each has their own excuse as to why they cant fix it.these tires have approx. 12000 miles on them and i really didnt wanna have to order another.the least i wanted them to do was pull the tire off the wheel and at least look to see what the real damage was..
    the excuses i got were:
    Walmart doesnt mess with tires that big....(the size is 285/75)..what the hell?
    that holes too big
    and last but not least, we cant fix it because you put fix-a-flat in it

however, each place was very quick to order me a brand new tire!(including walmart that "doesnt mess with tires that big")i constantly heard "we can order that and have it for ya monday"

so after driving all over town with a horrible hangover i bought a plug kit for 5 bucks, used one plug, filled it with 45psi and put it back on the truck..no leaking at all..
    Where was the hole? Most tire shops will not plug or patch a hole if it is into the sidewall. If there is a hole in the sidewall most tire manufacturers will call it unrepairable, and for good reason.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Master Mechanic

the hole was dead center in the middle of the tread.and i agree that fix-a-flat crap aint good for anything.last time i use that stuff.and as far as their "inspection" went they never actually pulled the tire off the wheel and looked.they rolled the tire outta the back of my truck, looked at it and said "we cant fix that,you need a new one".i even asked them to pull it off and the response i got was "thatd be pointless, you need a new tire".

Well I don't blame you for being pissed. I would be too if the hole was in the tread.

Master Mechanic

oh was hungover and very pissed!i really didnt wanna have to replace a tire that only had 12000 miles on it.i also decided a full size spare aint a bad idea either.its a bit smaller than the rest and it looks rediculous!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by