GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New guy from MD with a few questions

Hello, my name is Nick. This is the first time ive been on this site so moderators if this post is in the wrong section please feel free move it.

I am looking to buy a New GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Aside for what GM tells you i dont know much about these trucks. Ide like to know what issues you guys have come across so i know what to look for when the time comes to buy. Are there any major issues these trucks have? i know its hard to tell with somthing so new.

Im not a die hard chevy/ford/chrysler fan but i really love the way these sierras look. Ide really like an unbias opinion on these trucks vs the new fords.

Thanks guys, I should be making a purchase here within the next few weeks. i look forward to any help you all can give me.

I think the biggest thing about Silverados are that they're addicting. You'll never drive anything else ever again. Welcome to the club.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

Welcome to the site, Nick! I put 150K miles on a '02 Ford SuperCrew before I bought my '04 Chevy Crew Cab. I now have 123K miles on the Chevy and have yet to have any major problems. In that amount of miles on the Ford I had 3 brake jobs, none on the Chevy. I get at least 2mpg better mileage on the Chevy. I enjoyed the SuperCrew, but it was not ever as good as the Chevy. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

welcome to the site

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!!!

I can't give you an unbiased view, I just plainly hate Fords(bad experience). A lot of people I know have them and have beat them to the ground but have also dump loads of money into repairs. In a year of owning I have only done and exhaust leak and Front drive shaft u joints. I hope you make the right choice.

GM of course.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

It's going to be tough to get an unbiased opinion on the GM trucks on this site. Just about everyone on this forum has chosen GM over any other manufacturer. That being said, I'll give my two cents.

I've got an 08 silverado and with low miles so I haven't had to do anything mechanically to mine yet. The inside of the silverado makes more sense, as far as convenience and functionality, then any of the other comparable trucks I've seen. It drives like a Cadillac, especially compared to the Tundra and Titan. Best gas milage of all of them too. Expect 15-16 mpg in town and 18-19 mpg on the highway.

Like i said earlier, I'm biased. I've only ever owned GM. I'm sure the other manufacturers make a decent truck. Just not for me.

I may have started rambling. Sorry about that. If you buy the Sierra, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Jason - Bossier City, LA
    2006 Silverado Crew Cab 4WD

Previous:
    2008 Silverado; 5.3 L V8
    2006 Silverado; 4.8 L V8
    1994 C/K 1500; 5.7 L V8

Here is my two cents. I drove my gf's grandfather's 07 F-150 for about 4 hours straight. I can honestly say that my 2000 Sierra that has 159xxx has way more power that brand new Ford. The Ford had the 5.4 and my GMC has the 5.3.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Welcome to the site! you're committed now you're a GMTC member you'll have to buy G.M. truck!
    Adam