GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default help! I have a squeak!!

Ok, I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first Chevy ive ever owned. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately. its not real loud....but deffinately noticable inside the cab. my first instinct told me a bad wheel bearing. but whenever ive had one of those in the past, turning made the noise either increase or decrease. thats not the case here. but i will jack the truck up tomorow and check for any play in the wheel just to make sure. any other suggestions??

thanks

Default Where to begin

I would start by looking at your Idler and tensioner pulleys I have had the same symptons before and was able to fix it by replacing these pulleys they run about 20 bucks a pop might want to look at the a/c tensioner pulley to. these are smaller pulleys and at 90+ thousand miles I bet there good and worn. the hardest part of replaceing these pulleys is rerunning the serpatine belt . good luck.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Quote Originally Posted by zubbiez View Post
    I would start by looking at your Idler and tensioner pulleys I have had the same symptons before and was able to fix it by replacing these pulleys they run about 20 bucks a pop might want to look at the a/c tensioner pulley to. these are smaller pulleys and at 90+ thousand miles I bet there good and worn. the hardest part of replaceing these pulleys is rerunning the serpatine belt . good luck.

but wouldnt the pulleys make noise at idle? this sqeaking only happens when the truck is in motion.

Default Oops sorry

yeah thought I read something differnet there sorry.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Rear driveshaft U-joints are suspect. When you go to 4-HI you take alot of the strain off them, which could be why the squeaking goes away.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

defiantly check your belts and pulley system could be an intermittent sequel possible ac clutch could be locking up or it could be the water pump internally take a belt off and see if you can wiggle any of the pulleys up and down or side to side if they move alot then thats the problem more then 1/4 of an inch is bad