GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default 2001 5.3 12-13mpg.

    So my silverdo gets horrible gas milage. I have read people getting 18-20. I want that. So i bought the truck with 80k on it, Change the spark plugs, air filter, trans fluid and filter, oil, gear oil, and fuel filter.

    Today someone mentioned that i guess the fuel pressure regulator could be the problem. I am trying to get more info on this? Is this typically a problem for silverados? any other ideas? what should the fuel pressure be at idle? and WOT?

  2. #2

    Cool 2001 5.3 12-13 mpg

    Is your truck regular cab or crewcab, 2wd or 4x4, what gears. My 05 4x4 crewcab Z-71 , 4.10 gears , six inch lift with 35s gets 12-13 around town. My freinds 04 regular cab 2wd, 5.3 gets 16 town 20 highway.

  3. #3

    Default

    extracab 5.3 2wd spindle lift and like 31" tires. Stock gearing...

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm getting like 14-15 with ext cab 4x4 5.3L. But i'm always on the bitch... so it's no wonder.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gangsterchicken7 View Post
    I'm getting like 14-15 with ext cab 4x4 5.3L. But i'm always on the bitch... so it's no wonder.
    I drive pretty conservative. because i hate gas... So has anyone heard about the fuel pressure regulators going bad? Or am i stuck with a dud. lol

  6. #6

    Default

    If you have the stock exhaust, get rid of it!
    Install magnaflow muffler w/ dual outlet. or aftermarket freeflow muffler.
    Install synthetic oil.
    John

    06 Red GMC 4X4 CrewCab 4.8L
    MagnaFlow Muffler
    Lubed by AMSOIL...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by detailjohn View Post
    If you have the stock exhaust, get rid of it!
    Install magnaflow muffler w/ dual outlet. or aftermarket freeflow muffler.
    Install synthetic oil.
    actually it does have an aftermarket exhaust. Sorry i didnt add that. Came on the truck when i bought it and forgot about it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean-Dezert.org View Post
    So my silverdo gets horrible gas milage. I have read people getting 18-20. I want that. So i bought the truck with 80k on it, Change the spark plugs, air filter, trans fluid and filter, oil, gear oil, and fuel filter.

    Today someone mentioned that i guess the fuel pressure regulator could be the problem. I am trying to get more info on this? Is this typically a problem for silverados? any other ideas? what should the fuel pressure be at idle? and WOT?

    I've heard of this exact problem. MY best friend got an '01 silverado 1500, extended cab 6' bed, everything stock. Had 56K on when he bought it. He had it for about a month, was getting about 10-12mpg and couldn't figure out why. He put about 2500 miles on and finally the check engine lights started coming on. He took it to a garage and the mechanic told him the exact same thing. IT was problems with he fuel pump because of the fuel pressure regulator. This is not going to be a cheap fix unless you do it yourself.

    Question for you. When your truck is running can you hear the fuel pump running constantly? If so it is 100% the regulator causing your problems. Im also almost certain this is why you aren't getting decent mpg

  9. #9

    Default

    well while i am driving i cant hear the pump. I guess my first option is to check the fuel pressure this weekend. From what i have seen the pump either works or it doesnt. Guess if the fuel pressure is too high then i should suspect the regulator. Would be sweet if it was this as it should be an easy fix.

Similar Threads

  1. Abs 2001 1500 z71 help!!!!!
    By dustinddm in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
  2. 2001 z71
    By Truman in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM
  3. 2001 2500 vs 2001 2500HD. whats the diff
    By Castor Troy in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
  4. 2001 locker?
    By bad5300 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
  5. MPG out of a 2001 6.0l gas [Expired Topic]
    By gmcjohnny in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 09:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •