GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default ccm offroad tire question

ok. so i have the ccm offroad kit off of ebay ( here )and am wondering what size tires i need to run. i thought at one time it was 285 70 17 but cant remeber. i am just running 17" factory wheels off of an 06 tahoe and just need some help. thanx in advance guys.
    2003 Exteded Cab Silverado
    Black and Pewter
    5.3L
    4x4 Z71 Package
    Trailer Towing Package

Mods:
    Line-X Bedliner
    Billet Grill
    Tinted Windows

I have a kit similar to yours, (2.5"). On the stock rims my tires, 275/65/18 left me maybe a 3/8" space at full steering lock. My tire dimensions on 18s works out to be 32.4 inches X 11.5 inches. You can go online to compare tire sizes, just type in tire size calculator and you can get the dimensions of different tire sizes. For mounting on stock rims, if you do not want any rubbing at all, I would not exceed 32.5 X 11.5. You may be able to go up a VERY little and have no issues but it would be VERY VERY close. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions or need help finding a trie calculator PM me and I will help you out. I went through the same issues just a month or two ago when I got the new tires and rims so I know what you are going through. Good Luck
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

OOOOPS. 265/70/17 = 10.43" wide X 31.6" overall diameter
    285/70/17 = 11.22" X 32.7"
    275/65/18 = 10.82" X 32.07
    I was wrong about my tire size, sorry. As I said, my tires on stock rims did leave a little space and did not rub AT ALL. You may be able to have your tire shop "test fit" the larger tire for you. Be aware the tire dealer I deal with as well as online tire sellers do not recommend increasing your tire diameter by more than 3%. The increase you are thinking about results in a 3.37% increase. It wil effectl your speedometer and, more importantly, it may effect yur antilock brakes which are speed sensitive. You can go to a dealer or knowledgeable meahanic to have your computer reprogrammed to the larger siize. I am sure someone else on the forum here will chime in and can probably help you more with the programming issue. I did not want to worry about any of those issues so I went with the tires I did, which, with the after market rims I have, are MAXED out on my truck. I have NO ROOM LEFT at full steering lock and actually get a very slight rub in reverse at full lock under the right conditions. I KNOW, I KNOW,....TOO MUCH INFORMATION. I just wanted to clarify since I post incorrect info. GOOD LUCK.............AGAIN

i would run a 285/70R17, that would look real nice
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Master Mechanic

285 is what ive got and it looks great
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Sr. Apprentice

thanks for all the input guys. i been looking and there is not that much difference in factory and the biger size ( just about 1" height wise). ill probably just go with the stock size with a more aggressive tread. ive checked on the 285 tire and the price is higher than just the 265. i think with a more aggressive tread itll be fine. thanks for the responses guys.

i have that kits for my truck and i have 285 on and with stock 17 rims and it rides great you could go with the next size it should if

2004 1500 silverado z71
    3inch lift 33inch bfg at ta ko
    flowmaster eghaust intake
    smoke third brake light and tail light
    15% tint on front windows
    and system
    BLACK
    BEAUTY
    Z71

The NBS are different and probably will not fit 285/70s, I am only replying back because I have the NBS and went through this already. The previous body styles worked great with the 285s, I did with my 03 before I bought my new truck. Just saying..................