GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Howdy Folks! U-Joint question...

I am a new member, and a couple of months ago I purchased a pre-owned 2004 Silverado crew-cab Z71 with over 113,000 miles on it. About a week ago I started hearing a "chirping" noise at low speeds when accelerating. I only hear it when I'm moving, and I don't hear it at higher speeds.

I strongly suspect it's a worn-out u-joint. I haven't confirmed it yet (we got a lot of rain last night, and I didn't feel like jacking it up in a severe thunderstorm), and even if I do confirm it, I don't really have a place to fix it myself since I am temporarily living in an apartment that frowns on do-it-yourself auto repairs.

So...assuming it is a worn out u-joint (which is a safe assumption given the symptoms and the amount of miles on the truck), how much will a dealership charge me to fix it? I hate it when you go in expecting to pay about $200 for repairs and they tell you it's going to be $2000.

I'm just asking for budget reasons...to know if I need to pull money out of savings or whatever.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    m0j0

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I have never had suspension parts replaced at the dealer, but I have fuel injection stuff done at the dealership. Usually whatever you pay in parts, you better double it to make up for the labor. I had $1,200 in parts for my car, and it ended up just over $2,500 for the complete job installed with the parts. I couldn't see a U-joint repair going for over $500 total parts+labor, but you should check and see what they pro-rate that job at. Most of the dealers have a sheet that looks kind of like this.

Fuel Pump=4 hours labor $500
    Brake Pads=1.5 hours labor $225
    Etc. Etc.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Thanks for the tip. I think I will call them and ask. I just don't want to get there, and find out I don't have enough cash/credit on tap to pay for the repairs. It would suck to tell them, "Never mind, I'll bring it back later." I have the money, I'm just trying to get a ball-park idea of what to expect.
    m0j0TX -- McKinney, Texas
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD

hey i recelently had the u-joints in my 2003 z71 go out and i took it to a repair shop in town and for them to put new (both front and rear) joint on the rear drive shaft it was only $91 so yea i wouldnt take it to a dealer they over chrage.

Sounds like U-joints.
    Take it to a respectable local shop the dealer will be high for labor.
    The joints should run about $50 front and rear and no more than $75 for installation. Should only be about 1 hr labor.

remember if you do it yourself that the stock u joints have plastic injected retainer rings that will need to be heated up before you remove the stock u joints, that is if they haven't been replaced all ready before.
    bd1326

2005 Chevy Silverado 6.0 Vortec 4X4
    K&N Air Filter: Stock Replacement
    E3 Spark Plugs
    Magnaflow Single Exit Exhaust
    Rough Country Leveling Kit
    Skyjacker Add-a-Leaf
    Much More To Come

"Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of your car. Oversteer is hitting it with the rear."
    - NASCAR driver "Fireball" Roberts.

Well I took it in this morning, and they replaced the rear u-joint and greased the front one. Parts were $66.30 and labor was $191.95, for a total (with tax, shop fees, etc) of $276.19.
    m0j0TX -- McKinney, Texas
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD

300 bucks for u-joints ouch!
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0TX View Post
    Well I took it in this morning, and they replaced the rear u-joint and greased the front one. Parts were $66.30 and labor was $191.95, for a total (with tax, shop fees, etc) of $276.19.
    Double Ouch on the labor. I don't know what the book time is on that job but I could knock that job out in under an hour. I hope they installed a Spicer U Joint and not some cheapish clone.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Legend

What a rip-off!! The u joints are federal mogul and they are 25 bucks a piece at Oreillys which is where the dealership gets them from and those are what come from the factory too. I was inexpierenced and had I had the correct tools and the knowledge of having to melt out the plastic injections it would have taken me a half an hour to swap them on my suburban.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast