GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I went for yet another ride only this time my daughter drove and I rode in the back and listened around. I guess it could be coming from the driveline - it's just hard to tell.

Looks like u-joints are only about $14 a piece and some parts stores around here will press them in for you too. Think I may go that route next since it's not too spendy and an easy "fix" if it actually does work...

Since I've only had the truck about a month I'm not too worried yet about a little $$ here and there to replace parts so I know what I've got. Still only about $65 into this so far so not too bad.

Front wheel bearings or CV joints or whatever are going to get spendy so I guess I'll continue to try the less expensive options here until I fix it or rule out everything else!
    -Berg
    1998 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4

All new u-joints in the rear driveline and I've still got the same damn squeak and chirp.

Anyone know if the front wheel bearings can be repacked on these 4x4's? I've searched the posts but haven't come up with anything yet. From looking at parts catalogs it looks like the front wheel bearing is a complete assembly - sealed bearings maybe? I have no idea but want to learn more before attempting to tear into it or take it in.
    -Berg

Have you found a fix for this problem yet?

I was about to pick up some U-Joints for my 99 S10. Its been chirping like a bird for a couple days & I haven't been able to find the problem yet. Mine seams to be coming from the rear end or axle area, but I'm not 100% sure. I've looked at the rear brakes/drums/rotors and all check out ok. My next step was going to be U-Joints, Carrier Bearing & Differential Fluid. I haven't checked out my rear wheel bearings yet, but may do that before I proceed with anything else. If new joints, fluid & bearings don't end the noise, I'm planning on tearing apart my differential to have a look inside.

If your still looking to replace wheel bearings, it is a very easy job, but can be time consuming & a bit messy when repacking with grease.

Anyways, good luck with the fix and please update this thread if you solve the problem.
    Last edited by Johni; 07-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.

The wheel bearings cannot be repacked. Replace is the only option. I guess that isn't really an option is it?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Hey 2Cor,

New Bearings are definitely an option for me. When I replaced them, I only did the fronts and am probably overdue to swap out the rear wheel bearings anyways.

Thanks for the advice.

After work I'm going to grab a can of lithium grease & spray down all the rubber suspension parts. I have had a couple people tell me now that the most common source of the chirping sound is from the U-Joints. I hope the bearings and grease correct this problem before I have to mess with the drive shaft, U-Joints & differential.

About the bearings, I think I meant to say that packing them can get a bit messy. I'm not sure why I said repack?
    Last edited by Johni; 07-10-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Mine ended up being, of all things, a weird leak between my K&N cold air intake and the AirRaid throttle body spacer. The two are not really meant to live together. I fabbed a new silicone hose coupling with an angle to accommodate the extra height from the AirRaid spacer and clamped it all together. The damn truck has not made a squeak or squeal since... thankfully!

Prior to this I had it blocked up in the air in the driveway running it at all speeds trying to duplicate the sound to no luck for over half hour.

Weird thing - I didn't have any idle problems like from a vacuum leak. Just the metal on metal sounding squeal. But it wasn't metal on metal after all.
    -Berg

Did you find a solution to this problem.

I have the exact same problem word for word.

And I changed break pads, rotors, and new hub assemblies for both sides. Still squeaks.

I am thinking maybe CV joints or transfer case, but I don't know.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01chivyz71 View Post
    Ok, so i'll try over here.

I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Chevy[/COLOR][/COLOR] ive ever owned. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately, but usually starts back up a short time later. its not real loud....but noticable inside the cab, and out. my first instinct told me a bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] bearing, so i jacked the truck up and checked for any play. which there is none. it seems to be coming from more towards the front in the center. kinda where the tranny is. would the driveshafts be making this kind of noise???

any and all help would be appreciated
    thanks

p.s. Ive also noticed a slight chirp coming from the rear end whenever i give it gas from a stop. it also makes the sound when im going really slow (10-15mph) and hit the gas. and no its not the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    Weird thing - I didn't have any idle problems like from a vacuum leak. Just the metal on metal sounding squeal. But it wasn't metal on metal after all.
    You didn't have a vacuum leak, because there is no vacuum north of the throttle plate.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

I found the problem and answer to the original post in this thread.

The squeak and Chirp is a bad U-Joint.

Easiest way to check is get underneath spray front U-joints with lithium grease or WD40, if the squeak stop temporarily then it's the U-joint.

Factory U-joints are sealed and have no grease fitting so forget about greasing them.

bought new U-joints and installed them Squeak, Chirp, and Squealing is gone now in my 2000 Tahoe Z-71 with 4 wheel drive.

Don't let them tell you it's the transfer case or bearings/hub assembly because that would be more of a grinding sound.

Good luck to you all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123