GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Exclamation squeaks and chirps. what is it?????

    Ok, so i'll try over here.

    I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Chevy[/COLOR][/COLOR] ive ever owned. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately, but usually starts back up a short time later. its not real loud....but noticable inside the cab, and out. my first instinct told me a bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] bearing, so i jacked the truck up and checked for any play. which there is none. it seems to be coming from more towards the front in the center. kinda where the tranny is. would the driveshafts be making this kind of noise???

    any and all help would be appreciated
    thanks





    p.s. Ive also noticed a slight chirp coming from the rear end whenever i give it gas from a stop. it also makes the sound when im going really slow (10-15mph) and hit the gas. and no its not the tires.

  2. #2

    Default

    Does it do it in neutral idling or when you put it into drive? Does the noise change if you power brake it?
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Does it do it in neutral idling or when you put it into drive? Does the noise change if you power brake it?

    Great question!

    I have a Jeep Commander that recently had the front drive shaft replaced.. It was chirping like a bird, at slow speed.

    double check the differential fluid levels too...

    -me-
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2003 K2500 Sububan 6.0L w/Quadrasteer
    190,000 + miles

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meash20 View Post
    Great question!

    I have a Jeep Commander that recently had the front drive shaft replaced.. It was chirping like a bird, at slow speed.

    double check the differential fluid levels too...

    -me-
    That's where I'd be looking. A bad U Joint will chirp like a bird!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    That's where I'd be looking. A bad U Joint will chirp like a bird!

    is there any way i can check for a bad u-joint in my driveway? I really dont want to take it to the mechanic not knowing whats wrong with it. thats how you get screwed into paying for stuff you dont need to be paying for.

    thanx

  6. #6

    Default

    You can jack up the rear wheels, chock the front so it wont move and run the rear wheels. Listen for the chirp. Also with the engine off and the transmission in Neutral you can usually see and feel a loose or bad u-joint. Make sure you do this on level ground and not on a sloped driveway.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Does it do it in neutral idling or when you put it into drive? Does the noise change if you power brake it?

    it only does it when im moving.

  8. #8

    Default

    Did you find a solution to this problem.

    I have the exact same problem word for word.

    And I changed break pads, rotors, and new hub assemblies for both sides. Still squeaks.

    I am thinking maybe CV joints or transfer case, but I don't know.

    Any input would be much appreciated.

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by 01chivyz71 View Post
    Ok, so i'll try over here.

    I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Chevy[/COLOR][/COLOR] ive ever owned. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately, but usually starts back up a short time later. its not real loud....but noticable inside the cab, and out. my first instinct told me a bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] bearing, so i jacked the truck up and checked for any play. which there is none. it seems to be coming from more towards the front in the center. kinda where the tranny is. would the driveshafts be making this kind of noise???

    any and all help would be appreciated
    thanks





    p.s. Ive also noticed a slight chirp coming from the rear end whenever i give it gas from a stop. it also makes the sound when im going really slow (10-15mph) and hit the gas. and no its not the tires.

Similar Threads

  1. Squeaks and Cracks and noise
    By ippielb in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last: 07-24-2010, 10:07 PM
  2. Squeaks and bad idle
    By Silverstreak in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last: 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •