GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Child of the 80's or just like arcade games?

Have any of you here played around with MAME?

Its is so cool me and the little one have been playing mortal combat and pac man and galaga and one of my faves battlezone!

They also have emulators for the Sega and the old nintendo on up to the Super Nintendo have played with them also but man MAME is so much fun!!

I am considering actually building a MAME cabinet but I guess that is jumping ahead of the thread LOL
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Do you just download it and it's free to play any of the games?
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Technically the ROMs containing the game data are illegal unless you posses the real arcade game or at least the controller board from the arcade machine. However, lots of people just get the roms off the net and have a ball.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Yep, some of the older games you mentioned I still have for Nintendo/64 and use to play with my son when he was young. Now I am not into cause it is so much more envolved, the equipment also is so dam costly......I like the old SIM CITY.........

Jeff
    JMoney02

It is free to DL! kinda amaizing now days LOL

The ROMS as people call them are copies of the chips that used to be in the old arcade games someone has dumped the contents and you can D/L them.

Some of the OLDER roms the companies have said it was ok to use them just not to sell them Atari at one time even had them on CD for folks but I think they have stopped.

The goal of emulation is to keep those cool old games from going by the way side since the hardware isnt made anymore and give props to their creators not to make money so its all for free.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

That is a great idea and one that someone doesn't benefit off of another idea. I am glad that some stuff still can be used and free for the fun of it.......

Jeff