GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default having trouble with spark plugs.

okay. I have a new to me 2000 silverado. auto tranny. 4.8 liter engine. I am trying to get the spark plugs out, but not sure if the silver metal "sleeve" should be coming out with the plugs. They are very tight in the slots so I don't want to pull on something to hard and "fubar" the wires. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by donald babcock View Post
    okay. I have a new to me 2000 silverado. auto tranny. 4.8 liter engine. I am trying to get the spark plugs out, but not sure if the silver metal "sleeve" should be coming out with the plugs. They are very tight in the slots so I don't want to pull on something to hard and "fubar" the wires. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes,the metal sleeve should come out with the Spark Plug Wire.Just a little wiggle on the sleeve and the plug wire and sleeve should come out together.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

those are heat shields for rubber nipples. i had mine removed whichever way i wanted to - with the wire tip and separately.

when you done pulling them, and re-install wires, get some dialectric grease, and liberally lubricate both coil and plug electrodes. you'll thank me later.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

Just changed the plugs on my truck, I just pulled on the rubber insulator inside the metal sleeve, the metal came with it, and there's a spring inside them. To be sure when you've gotten the whole thing, you'll know. Then just be careful and take your time putting the new plugs in, you don't want to go ahead and cross thread the plugs in. Good luck.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension