GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 95 K-2500 Crate Motor Replacement Ideas

Hi

My 95 K2500/350 TBI is tired after 230K miles. As I like the truck, I want to replace the original engine with a crate long-block motor.

I use the truck to commute (mostly rural speeds) and occasionally pull a flat-bed trailer (2500 lbs or less). Current thinking is:

• Keep the current ECM, if feasible
    • Keep the TBI, if feasible
    • Exhaust manifold, not headers
    • A bit more horsepower
    • intake manifold - open to ideas

GM Performance offers a 350/290 and a 383 crate long block as possible starting points.

Any ideas / advice / experience / wise cracks would be greatly appreciated.

Bye

I'd get the 350/290. Swap in and out using all your components. TBI, ECM, Manifolds, etc. I'm sure the improvement in power will be substantial. If you were hauling all the time, I'd so go for the 383.

I haven't seen many intake upgrades for the TBI. Money would probably be better spent on exhaust - and Cold air intake.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

stick with the 350 if you are getting a crate replacement then you'll just be swapping over the accessories you have to the new motor and not have to do any major changing out. will save youself a lot of trouble in the long run.

might save youself quite a few posts on here to resolve issues later on too. not that we mind answering any questions just might save yourself a lot of time on here and headaches in the long run.
    another recomendation would be adding E3 spark plugs to which ever you decide to go with, a K&N airfilter or cold air intake, and a flow master muffler , those are all beneficial changes that you can do without a whole lot of expense and mobil1 motor oil with Lucas addative in everything also. they are all things that will help everything last longer and give you a little more power and gas mileage to boot. these recomendations are things i have done with mine that made a noticable difference in power and performance.