GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Do brake shoes have a wear indicator???

So I was on my way to work this morning and I was sitting in traffic when I noticed that I was getting a quick high pitched noise at what seemed to be the same point in each rotation of the tire. My last pickup was a GMC and the wear indicator on the front pads created a very similar sound at a certain point in the wheel/tire rotation. However, the pads and rotors up front are about 3,000 miles old so I was wondering if the shoes had a wear indicator.

I have never come across a wear indicator on shoes in the past but...... It's a 2006 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 w/ the 5.3L.

It has about 70,000 and I havent changed the shoes yet. How many miles are you guys getting out of your rear shoes?

Any ideas on what I am hearing?

Thanks!

Does that not have discs on the back?
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    Does that not have discs on the back?
    I wish! Drums in the rear.

No wear indicators on the shoes. You may have a broken spring but in any event you just need to pull your wheels and drums. That should take about 10 minutes with a floor jack and an impact gun. If you don't have the tools take it to a brake shop for a free estimate. <G>
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    No wear indicators on the shoes. You may have a broken spring but in any event you just need to pull your wheels and drums. That should take about 10 minutes with a floor jack and an impact gun. If you don't have the tools take it to a brake shop for a free estimate. <G>
    I have the tools and the ability to do it, it's just one of those things that is really bugging me while I sit at work wondering what the hell is wrong now that I just replaced the front hub assemblies and entire front brake system!

Quote Originally Posted by brtt485 View Post
    I have the tools and the ability to do it, it's just one of those things that is really bugging me while I sit at work wondering what the hell is wrong now that I just replaced the front hub assemblies and entire front brake system!
    It's not unusual for a brake spring or other piece of hardware to break. Usually the brake shoes will outlast 2 sets of front pads before needing replacement. But, a dragging e brake or stuck adjuster can cause premature brake failure.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    It's not unusual for a brake spring or other piece of hardware to break. Usually the brake shoes will outlast 2 sets of front pads before needing replacement. But, a dragging e brake or stuck adjuster can cause premature brake failure.
    I appreciate it. I will take a quick look inside the drums when I get home. Hopefully it's somethign simple!

Quote Originally Posted by brtt485 View Post
    I wish! Drums in the rear.
    My bad...... I must just be used to the 2500 HD's.

Cuz my '04 has discs all the way around.....

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    My bad...... I must just be used to the 2500 HD's.

Cuz my '04 has discs all the way around.....

Stupid me for not checking. I have a buddy who has the same truck as I do and he has discs all the way around too. When I bought the truck I didnt bother to check on that and now I am stuck the less than desirable task of changing brake shoes!!!