GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Drivers side seat rail Decentigrated?

Ok, I have a 1999 chevy silverado 2500 and the drivers side seat (manual not automatic seat) does not lock into place anymore it just moves back and forth. i took it to the local chevy shop and they told me that the locking mechanism in the rail has disintegrated and they need to replace it. I ask how much it would be and they want to charge $900 for it. So i told them no thats not gonna happen and said good bye.

I have checked ebay and the only manual seat tracks i could find where attached to seats and i doubt they would be willing to split them up. Does anyone know of anyplaces that might have them. Im still looking into salvage yards and craigs list part outs but would appreciate any help if there is some other place out there that might have what im looking for.

Cheers,
    Nick

Oh and yea i spelt disintegrated wrong in the title... not the best speller here.
    Last edited by warlockguitar; 09-01-2009 at 11:39 AM.

I had this same problem with my first camaro. They wanted considerably less than 900 to fix mine at the dealer, but this was like 7 years ago now, and it was still more than I could afford at the time. I just lucked into it when I got mine replaced. I went to a junk yard and the gave me the part for free. I bought new seats and new rims too, so I was already spending plenty of money, but thats not the point.

Dont look for just a seat rail at the salvage yards (or Craigslist) look for the whole seat, for some reason the rails by themselves command a higher price.

The dealer say's it disintegrated have you looked at it? Maybe just the locking pawl or another part of the mechanism is broken and can easily be replaced/repaired.

I'll check it out when i get home tonight and see if i can see the problem myself.