GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98-99 2" lift, newbie questions

I posted in the suspension forum but maybe this will get some play here instead.

I am looking at trading my Jeep GC for a 98-99 Suburban. This is going to be a weekend hauler for kids and camping with some snowmobile towing in winter. I want to lift it just a couple of inches and fit 285/75-16 tires. Doesn't need to get crazy, just a little more capable than it comes stock.

I have seen the kits that come with some spacers, lower control arms and an add-a-leaf for the rear. Anybody using a set-up like this, pics would be great if you have them. Any concerns with this type of lift? Do I need to consider different shocks too?

Since this baby will be off-road, what should I be looking for as far as a LSD or locker in back? I used to have 3/4 Chevys with the G80, is that something that applies to the 1/2 ton trucks too? If not, what code should I be looking for. Also curious about the gear ratios, what is standard, optional, or most common?

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will be back in a Sub by next week.

I am in the same boat as you. I thought I read somewhere that you can simply increase the torsion bars to gain 2" lift. Thoughts?

Bob

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I am in the same boat as you. I thought I read somewhere that you can simply increase the torsion bars to gain 2" lift. Thoughts?

Bob

I been lookling to increse my truck for months. Have not found one yet. You can increase your torsion bars but it will ride like a log truck and also will put you out of alliment.

I cranked my torsion bars on this truck as I have with several others. For me, the increased rigidity in the front end makes for better cornering and I don't mind a truck that rides like a truck. You can also buy re-indexed torsion keys that will give you that 2" in the front without changing the ride too much. If it is already leveled, you can add 2" blocks in the rear along with the new keys for a nice 2" lift. You may want to consider new shocks as they sometimes top out depending on what you have.

New keys can be bought for $150-200 online and the blocks are around $50.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

Jr. Engineer

from my experience, it would be better to do it properly, and use either a combination of springs and spindles in the front, and diferent leafs in the rear with all new shocks and brake hoses. Also check your pinion angle.

If you are going to be hauling trailers, and especially ones that may get to a point of "heavy" depending on the truck of course, you want to be safe, and I know you don't wanna take any chances with your children in the truck as I am the same way.

as far as LSD goes, if you have a 4x4 model, (you didn't mention it so Im assuming you do) you have a version of LSD in the back (probably GM's famous Wind up posi), and you should have (note I said should as its the most common) 3:73 in the rear which is fine for hauling and a little off roading.... 4:10 would be great if you didn't have to go above 100km/h ever.

thats just my 2 cents

hope that helps

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"