GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default She'll crank, but won't fire up.

I have a 1999 Chevy 1500 pick up w/ a 350. I've been having some starting problems. When i get in the truck to start it, it won't start. It'll crank and if i keep on cranking with maybe 30-60 second breaks then finally she'll fire up.

Each time this happens I'll get a CEL. Each CEL is different as well. The first was a misfire, second was one telling to take it to the dealer, the third was high voltage circuit open ( every thing was still connected ). Now I have replaced the battery, ignition module, ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap, & rotor.
    My fuel pressure is at 58 psi. Now I know that 60-66 psi is said reguired but can 2 psi really make a difference.

Also, maybe you guys can tell me if it's the pump or the regulator. Should I replace both? Can you guys tell me some tips as to tell which is bad?

If you have spark right off the bat then the fuel pressure is the problem. Did you replace the filter?
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I had the same problem with my old 89 blazer... I replace the fuel pump and everything went back to normal.
    2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 5.3L

58 psi under what conditions: key on engine off? does it hold 58 psi while starting? If it maintains 58 psi while starting, fuel delivery would seem ok to me. Are the spark plugs "wet" after trying to start (indicating that gas is getting into the cylinders)?

Can you post actual code numbers? my code list doesn't list a code for "high voltage circuit" or "take it to dealer"
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Yes I changed the fuel filter as well. As for the codes, I have not gotten the same code twice. I know there was one for high circuit or open circuit, the other was one that the diagnostic couldn't read. The guy who used the diagnostic told me the dealer can figure it out. He used a actron scanner.