GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic

Default shift kit install?

so how hard is it to install a shift kit? i bought a b&m shift kit for my 1989 pontiac trans am, i just don't know if i should tackle the job myself

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

depending on the kit as long as you read the instructions 2-4 times before doing any work and following them while doing the upgrade no sweat. i like the Transgo -2 kits but i done a few B&M kits without too much hassle. what tranny the slip and slide? and what shift kit? did you add a second filter and cooler?....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Tommorow I should be installing a shift kit in my Burban. It's an attempt to fix my valve body. Aamco said something is sticking in the valve body, and I figured this would be a decent way to fix the issue, plus get better shifts. I have the transgo 700 Jr kit. Instructions seem kinda confusing, especially since it's the kit for transmission shops, who already know a bit about transmissions beforehand. Anyone know where I can find the consumer instructions on the web somewhere? I'm always open to suggestions
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

transgo had a web site did it offer any other information?....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by collinsperformance View Post
    depending on the kit as long as you read the instructions 2-4 times before doing any work and following them while doing the upgrade no sweat. i like the Transgo -2 kits but i done a few B&M kits without too much hassle. what tranny the slip and slide? and what shift kit? did you add a second filter and cooler?....mike
    it's a 700r4 tranny, i didn't add a second f ilter or cooler, should I? i assumed the same, it just seem like a lot of tiny parts that could get lost lol.

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

i like to keep my stuff going along time and make service easy. now at oil changes i toss in a new tranny filter and a quart of tranny oil and the tranny is very happy and heat is a killer so a second or better cooler is cheap insurance to keep the running for many miles----------think of the addd heat when you are pulling a load....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Quote Originally Posted by collinsperformance View Post
    i like to keep my stuff going along time and make service easy. now at oil changes i toss in a new tranny filter and a quart of tranny oil and the tranny is very happy and heat is a killer so a second or better cooler is cheap insurance to keep the running for many miles----------think of the addd heat when you are pulling a load....mike
    What kinda cooler did you get?
    Braden
    2004 5.3 Chevy Silverado single cab Joe Gibbs Edition.

A B&M stacked plate cooler is about the best cooler I've heard other people recommend.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by 383man View Post
    so how hard is it to install a shift kit? i bought a b&m shift kit for my 1989 pontiac trans am, i just don't know if i should tackle the job myself
    Like others have said if you follow the instructions you'll be OK. Make sure you have some clean solvent and several cans of Brake Cleaner on hand. Do not wipe anything with rags. Blow it dry with shop air or let the Brake Cleaner air dry. Grease the check balls with Vasoline. Do not use any other kind of grease. Make sure you have a new filter too.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Tommorow I should be installing a shift kit in my Burban. It's an attempt to fix my valve body. Aamco said something is sticking in the valve body, and I figured this would be a decent way to fix the issue, plus get better shifts. I have the transgo 700 Jr kit. Instructions seem kinda confusing, especially since it's the kit for transmission shops, who already know a bit about transmissions beforehand. Anyone know where I can find the consumer instructions on the web somewhere? I'm always open to suggestions
    Send me a PM and I'll send you a PDF of your valve body. The 700 Jr Kit is very easy to install.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible