GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question cooler line,tranny failure,

my problem: A transmission cooler line broke,dumping atf all over the highway.... had it replaced...drove my truck for a few weeks...diablo tuner says my tranny is slipping.. now it wont shift to 3rd. It just revs and doesn't shift. I need to replace it for sure.

Is replacing a transmission just a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one?

I would like to attempt this myself because 1. I just want the experience. 2. tired of paying other people to fix my truck only to have if break again.

details:
    2000, 5.3, long bed, tow/haul button, auto

Will I need to worry about a torque converter?

Are there any "fun" go fast parts I should consider that are related to the tranny?

If there is already a similar thread please re-direct me. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardnergrendal View Post
    my problem: A transmission cooler line broke,dumping atf all over the highway.... had it replaced...drove my truck for a few weeks...diablo tuner says my tranny is slipping.. now it wont shift to 3rd. It just revs and doesn't shift. I need to replace it for sure.

Is replacing a transmission just a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one?

I would like to attempt this myself because 1. I just want the experience. 2. tired of paying other people to fix my truck only to have if break again.

details:
    2000, 5.3, long bed, tow/haul button, auto

Will I need to worry about a torque converter?

Are there any "fun" go fast parts I should consider that are related to the tranny?

If there is already a similar thread please re-direct me. thanks
    2WD? If it's 2WD it's an easy swap. 4X4 is a little more work as you have to deal with the transfer case. Yes you MUST change the torque converter. Your best bet is to remove your transmission and get some estimates and have it built locally. That way if there are any problems you can take the truck in and let them deal with them.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I had the same thing happen on my 02 TrailBlazer. Same transmission, 4L60e. Pretty sure it's the 3-4 clutch pack that is gone. My wife said it felt a little funny going up a little grade at the shopping center.

I would recommend having yours rebuillt. The 4L60 isn't known for super strength and reliability, unfortunately. If you buy a used one, you have no idea what you're getting for a tranny. Your local tranny shop can fix the weak points, put in a shift kit/improver, and give you a warranty. The replacement process isn't extremely difficult, but I'm not sure if you would need to reprogram the computer.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.