GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default My radio always stay on?

    My 01 silverados radio always stays on even when the key is out of it, it is the factory am/fm radio and as far as I know has never been touched. Right now I just turn the volume knob all the way off but the display stays on and the battery will die if the truck sits for several days.

    Does anyone know what this could be?
    And if the display(time) always supposed to be on?
    2001 Silverado 3500
    6.0 V8 5-speed

  2. #2

    Default

    Not sure what is causing it to stay on. It's supposed to turn off when one of the doors are opened after the key is turned off. Also the battery saver is not working if it is killing the battery. The saver will shut down power to the lights and stereo after they are left on for 5 minutes without the key on. Check the fuse for the battery saver to see if it has blown or been removed.

  3. #3

    Default

    Sounds like the IGN + wire is constant hot. I would trace it against a schematic from a Haynes or Chilton's book and see where it goes.

    I have the same problem with my lighter port, but I'm not sure if that's normal. I'm getting ready to change it.
    Scott

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    '94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna


  4. #4
    Legend

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East of Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    2,788
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    Sounds like the IGN + wire is constant hot. I would trace it against a schematic from a Haynes or Chilton's book and see where it goes.

    I have the same problem with my lighter port, but I'm not sure if that's normal. I'm getting ready to change it.


    That's most likely exactly it. Someone has gone in (or you have a short) to the (+)positive/hot wire.

    Radios generally have to 'power' wires. One that is constantly on and one that comes on with the ignition accessory. The reason for the two is that the constant power keeps your radio's memory (from clock, to present stations, etc) and the other is to 'turn on' the radio when the key is turned in the ignition.

    It sounds as though for some reason the wire to feed constant power to your radio has been crossed, tapped into, or has 'shorted' to the accessories/power on wire.

    Pull the radio out and have a look at the power wires.
    Steven



    "The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy




  5. #5

    Default

    I will pull the radio. But also I dont think the interior lights come on when I open the door so is it possible that the door open switch is broken which would trick the radio into thinking the door is always closed and keeping the radio on?

    Also what are where is my battery saver?
    2001 Silverado 3500
    6.0 V8 5-speed

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustin88 View Post
    I will pull the radio. But also I dont think the interior lights come on when I open the door so is it possible that the door open switch is broken which would trick the radio into thinking the door is always closed and keeping the radio on?

    Also what are where is my battery saver?
    If your interior lights don't come on, check that you don't have the dome override active. That shouldn't connect to the radio because the 2001 didn't have Retained Accessory Power yet, so your radio should turn off as soon as you turn the key off. When you say you have the AM/FM radio, it sounds like your truck is a base. On my base 2001 Silverado, there is also no battery protection. You can leave your lights or whatever accessories on for as long as you want, nothing will shut them off on the base trim level.

    It sounds like you have a short between your constant and switched power. That happened to me when I added my iPod cable to my system.

    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck


  7. #7

    Default

    Ok I will pull out the radio and yes it is a base work truck with only a am/fm radio(No cd or tape)
    2001 Silverado 3500
    6.0 V8 5-speed

  8. #8

    Default

    I know this is an old thread, but the system won't let me send a private message.

    I am having the same trouble with my '97 truck. The radio will not turn off. I was just wondering if Dustin88 was able to track down the problem with his truck.

    Thanks,
    Jack

  9. #9
    Legend

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Wing, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    3,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    If your interior lights don't come on, check that you don't have the dome override active. That shouldn't connect to the radio because the 2001 didn't have Retained Accessory Power yet, so your radio should turn off as soon as you turn the key off. When you say you have the AM/FM radio, it sounds like your truck is a base. On my base 2001 Silverado, there is also no battery protection. You can leave your lights or whatever accessories on for as long as you want, nothing will shut them off on the base trim level.

    It sounds like you have a short between your constant and switched power. That happened to me when I added my iPod cable to my system.
    01 does have the switch for keeping the radio on when the key is pulled so I would say there is a fault in the wiring from the dome lights not working when the door is opening is contributing
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16
    ___________________________
    Jason

Similar Threads

  1. Where should i stay...Help;)
    By Shorty 71 in forum Sports & Outdoors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!
    By Eddie Z71 in forum Games Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
  3. Can I stay with 35 inch tires?
    By CodyG19 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
  4. Suburban will not stay running
    By bublitz3 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM
  5. should i stay w/vortec 96 and up?
    By rygamer in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 11:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •