GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    How do you remove the door jamb switch on a 93 Suburban? It feels like there are somw prongs on the back side, and it should slip out the front. No luck so far with this method. My 1976 had a switch that screwed into the door jamb. Thought I would ask before I created another repair job. Thanks.
    Did you get this resolved? This is one of the problems I'm having with my new-to-me C1500. The lights all work when you use the switch to turn them on but they will not come on when you open the door. I've adjusted the dimmer every way possible and tried the dome light disable button in both positions as well. I'm guessing that one of the door jamb switches must be bad but I'm not sure how to verify that other than to buy one and replace the old one.

Having the same problem in my 03 1500. Ive done what the others have done as well, checked the disable button and moved the dimmer control. Where is said door jamb switch located??

Thanks,
    Tim

Welcome to the club Tim,
    The door jam switch is located on the A post when you open the door, it is a button that pops out.

I picked up two new ones and I'll post my results after I replace them. The part itself is pretty cheap ($5 each) so if that works, it's a cheap fix.

I think I might have your fix. if you are talking about your 09 or newer silvy. The top half back plate for your dimmer knob is actually a switch. if you look closely in this pic you will see the crease in the middle of the back plate. so press the top half of the backplate and it should feel like a button. I only knew this because i had the same issue when i bought the truck and realized that the "Dome off" writing actually ment that the back plate doubled as a switch.
    Last edited by bacon89; 10-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Pics of my truck can be found here: http://goo.gl/0AYwB

Sr. Apprentice

My truck is a 1993, and the front "Door Jamb Switch" is located in the side of the dash. You actually have 5 door jamb switches in a Suburban, 2 for the front, 2 for the rear doors, and one for the tailgate. These are not wired in a continuous circuit i.e. if one switch does not work, the interior lights will come on from one of the others. If that is not the case, be sure that the override "lights off" rocker switch on the dash has not been set to off. It was the one door jamb switch on mine that was bad. Remove from under the dash by depressing the plastic prongs. Small hands are very beneficial for that job!
    1993 K-2500 Suburban Silverado, 7.4L, 4 X 4, HD Towing
    1985 Jeep Scrambler 4.2 L, 4 X 4, Laredo
    2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L, 4 x 4,, TRX4, SLT

alrighty then heres what I did to fix mine. I went out the other evening and checked everything out, dimmer control in the right position...check. dome light override in the right position...check. So I got inside and pressed the overhead console light switches and low and behold thats what it was. The thing to do is make sure the dome light override is set right, and make sure youre overhead console switches are right.

Hope this helps,.

tim

Push the button just below the dimmer switch in and out a few times. It is the dome override. It should fix your issue....

Sr. Apprentice

On some of the late models the whole switch plate is the on/off button. Try pressing on the entire switch plate.
    1993 K-2500 Suburban Silverado, 7.4L, 4 X 4, HD Towing
    1985 Jeep Scrambler 4.2 L, 4 X 4, Laredo
    2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L, 4 x 4,, TRX4, SLT

Thanks for the post. Just picked up a new 2011 Silverado yesterday and the interior lights wouldn't come on when doors opened. Your picture and advice worked perfectly. The owners' manual is not as clear and informative ! Thanks again !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast