GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by

it wont be that many wires, its only 13, but im confused why their are 2 fuses on the wiring harness for the radio, a 15 amp and a 3 amp, we thing the 3 amp if for power, but have know idea what the 15 is for

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedsilverado View Post
    it wont be that many wires, its only 13, but im confused why their are 2 fuses on the wiring harness for the radio, a 15 amp and a 3 amp, we thing the 3 amp if for power, but have know idea what the 15 is for
    the fifteen amp fuse is going to be your power source that runs through the ignition swicth while the three amp fuse is your memory ie. clock and settings this will always have power to it while the other should only have power when your key is on
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

ok, i have the wiring diagram in front of me, and it says te new radio has 3 power wires, the one with the 15 amp fuse which is for the memory, the 3 amp fuse is the bus power lead, which im confused by both of these, and then one that doesn't have a fue and that one is the power lead for accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedsilverado View Post
    ok, i have the wiring diagram in front of me, and it says te new radio has 3 power wires, the one with the 15 amp fuse which is for the memory, the 3 amp fuse is the bus power lead, which im confused by both of these, and then one that doesn't have a fue and that one is the power lead for accessory.
    okay so I had the first two backwards.hard to tell without looking at them. but the acccesory one( I guessing Its blue) is going to be you power antenna wire which is so you can tie in your amp, to the stereo so that when you turn off your deck the amp also turns off and vice versa, you may or may not have to tie it into your changer depending on how it hooks up, I used to have a pioneer changer that was turned on and off by the stereo but had to have the memory power to it to keep the disc at the point where you turned it off good luck hope this helps you

use wire nuts so if you sell the truck and buy another they just twist off..... you get the same connection with alot less work...... thats what i did

it actually has a separate power antenna lead which is blue, the power lead is red, and i dont have an amp yet. so i dont worry about the red wire on the radio?

here is that adapter im using for the factory radio connector to the new radio

documents.victorytechnologies.com/documents/product/9571.pdf

and you can see the new radio harness in here

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man...0/020CZ309.PDF

so can someone double check me on the wiring if they have time?

new radio harness adapter
    grey to grey
    grey black to grey black
    white to white
    white black to white black
    purple to violet
    purple black to violet black
    green to green
    green black to green black
    15 amp fuse to yellow
    3 amp fuse to ??
    red to red
    orange white to orange

i think this is all i need to hook up, im not completely sure of these, so could someone please double check it?

thank you

That looks about right. The 3 amp to bus power lead is new to me. Although, from what Iknow on the 2003+ gm trucks, the electronics are more advanced with a data bus that even the radio connects to. This is why the newer radios wouldn't work in an older truck even if you made them fit. maybe this has something to do with being adaptable to something like that.... i don't know. my radio doesn't have a bus power lead. Everything else looks good though.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

cool u finally got it?
    2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 5.3L

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by