GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Skyjacker Installation on a Chevy Suburban

As mentioned elsewhere on the site. I am planning on installing a Skyjacker 2"-3" suspension lift (part # C2567K ) on my Suburban this weekend. I will try to take photos of the steps and report any problems I encounter. Here are a couple of "before" photos just for a teaser.

Stay tuned and I'll do my best to cover it all.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Thats cool! A buddy of mine at work just did his little CJ. The Skyjacker kits is really nice stuff, urethane bushings and all. That 3" should look like a million bucks on your Burb. Good Luck. Mind the knuckles Gary...

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

OK, it's not done yet (I had to work on that F*** and then spent most of the rest of the day sneezing) but here is another teaser for you. I should have it finished up by tomorrow.

Oops, sorry wrong picture. This was a shot of the grill after a long day working on trucks. Gotta keep the energy up. I'll post more soon.

Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Nice job! Now we need a profile shot to see the overall look. Gotta love the barbeque this time of year. I'd cook eggs on there if I could figure out how to keep um from slipping thru grill:sarcastic:

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Well it's still not done yet, I guess I'll be riding the CB900 tomorrow. I had some issues with the fitment of the differential lowering bracket and finally quit before I beat the s*** out of my truck. I will finish it this week and give an honest opinion (or biased, depending on how you look at it) of the Skyjacker kit. Right now my mood is not the greatest, so I will leave it off here.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Nothing gets wrenches flying faster for me that something like that. Just keep at it and keep us posted.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Keep working at it. I have a 1997 suburban and I am looking at the exact same lift kit that you are installing right now. Where did you buy your kit and for how much?

I'll be curious to hear whether you would recommend paying someone to install it or to do it yourself? Right now you sound like you would pay someone to install it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    6" RCD suspension lift
    4.88 Yukon Gears
    Detroit Trutrac
    Wheatley Tune
    35" BFGoodrich AT's
    17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels
    Gibson Swept-side exhaust
    NGK Iridium XI spark plugs
    Amsoil 5W-30 Full Synthetic
    Westin Grill Guard
    APC Clear Corners
    APC Clear Turn Signals
    K&N drop-in air filter

What ever 4 Wheel Parts charges to install it, it's not enough. I bought mine through Jegs. The main kit was $490 and the shocks were about $40 each. I also put new upper ball joints on that I bought at Autozone for $35 each. Mine was missing parts when it showed up, but Skyjacker overnighted the parts to me so that was nice. The instructions that come with it are a joke. They are very vague and the diagrams and pictures have been copied so many times that they are useless. I am having issues installing the front differential drop brackes and getting everything lined up correctly to install the differential mountin bolts. I spent 3.5 hours yesterday raising, lowering, wiggling and cussing at the differential and finally just pulled out one of the brackets and enlarge the hole so I could get the bolt through. Then I found out that I could not get the last bracket in place with all the other brackets in place and had to remove everything I had been working on to install the rear most bracket (which on the instructions is the last one to be installed). I quit at that point and worked on it a little while today and got the last bracket installed, but now the bolt I worked on so long yesterday doesn't want to go back in the hole it came out of, so I have stopped again. It will probably be raining the rest of the week, so I won't finish the install untill the weekend. Oh well, I get to drive my big block 78 Silverado for a few days and it needed a good leg stretching anyway.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    What ever 4 Wheel Parts charges to install it, it's not enough. I bought mine through Jegs. The main kit was $490 and the shocks were about $40 each. I also put new upper ball joints on that I bought at Autozone for $35 each. Mine was missing parts when it showed up, but Skyjacker overnighted the parts to me so that was nice. The instructions that come with it are a joke. They are very vague and the diagrams and pictures have been copied so many times that they are useless. I am having issues installing the front differential drop brackes and getting everything lined up correctly to install the differential mountin bolts. I spent 3.5 hours yesterday raising, lowering, wiggling and cussing at the differential and finally just pulled out one of the brackets and enlarge the hole so I could get the bolt through. Then I found out that I could not get the last bracket in place with all the other brackets in place and had to remove everything I had been working on to install the rear most bracket (which on the instructions is the last one to be installed). I quit at that point and worked on it a little while today and got the last bracket installed, but now the bolt I worked on so long yesterday doesn't want to go back in the hole it came out of, so I have stopped again. It will probably be raining the rest of the week, so I won't finish the install untill the weekend. Oh well, I get to drive my big block 78 Silverado for a few days and it needed a good leg stretching anyway.
    You touched a bit on what I do for a living. They should have the installation manuals and other documentation online so you can download and print it yourself. They also should make certain that they hire a semi-mechanical writer do their docs for them. Don't make a mechanic or an engineer write docs that that are designed for the general public.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I did find the instructions online and the diagrams and pictures were at least usable. I finished the front installation yesterday (I had jury duty and didn't get picked so I took the rest of the day off and worked on the truck). After messing with it for a couple of hours without much luck, I called Skyjacker and the tech knew about the problem I was having and walked me through how to fix it. After I did some trimming on the cooling fins on the differential, it went where it was supposed to and everything finally lined up right. I still have to do the rear and adjust the torsion bars to get it all back to the correct stance, but that will happen this weekend.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast