GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1981 ball joint/driver side steering knuckle

OK so, i wanted to change my gear ratio from 3.08 to 3.73 so i got a used set of axles with the right gears and set to change them. After three weeks of working at a slow pace, i finally got front and rear changed out. Before the swap, the steering was loose due to the steering box being loose----easy enough to change when i get the 200 bucks. With the new front axle it appears that the upper ball joint on the driver steering knuckle is way worn. I figured that i could rob the whole steering knuckle from the old axle and swap it out-no biggie. Well after an hour of hammering the J-steering arm off and taking apart the hub and brake housing and pulling the axle, im down to just the two giant nuts that attach the upper and lower ball joints to the axle. I finally get both of those off and the knuckle doesn't just drop out -damn- lol . So im hammering on the top bolt trying to get it to pop free but after 10 min i got nothin. i notice that there is a what i find out is the camber adjustment sleeve but im not sure if that needs to come out in order to remove the ball joints. Do i need to keep pounding on this thing to get it to pop off? Am i missing a vital tool? Should i just take the rig to a shop and have them replace the ball joints? None of my projects are ever just an easy swap lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theburban View Post
    OK so, i wanted to change my gear ratio from 3.08 to 3.73 so i got a used set of axles with the right gears and set to change them. After three weeks of working at a slow pace, i finally got front and rear changed out. Before the swap, the steering was loose due to the steering box being loose----easy enough to change when i get the 200 bucks. With the new front axle it appears that the upper ball joint on the driver steering knuckle is way worn. I figured that i could rob the whole steering knuckle from the old axle and swap it out-no biggie. Well after an hour of hammering the J-steering arm off and taking apart the hub and brake housing and pulling the axle, im down to just the two giant nuts that attach the upper and lower ball joints to the axle. I finally get both of those off and the knuckle doesn't just drop out -damn- lol . So im hammering on the top bolt trying to get it to pop free but after 10 min i got nothin. i notice that there is a what i find out is the camber adjustment sleeve but im not sure if that needs to come out in order to remove the ball joints. Do i need to keep pounding on this thing to get it to pop off? Am i missing a vital tool? Should i just take the rig to a shop and have them replace the ball joints? None of my projects are ever just an easy swap lol.
    Never mind, lol. I bought a larger pickle fork today and was able to get it apart.