GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Defrost not working

My 1997 Chevy Silverado all of a sudden will not go to defrost. When you flip the switch to defrost, it goes to the floor vents and nothing comes from the defroster vents. Is there a stuck lever somewhere? where would I find it?
    Any help is appreciated.

BUMP.
    Anybody??
    1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 210K miles:
    350 Vortec/4L60E, 3.42 posi, Underdrive crank pulley, K&N filter, Superchips power programmer, mallory coil, true dual exhaust, torque swirl TB spacer, and more!

1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA- L98 Superram
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L- Way too many mods to list!

i had this exact same problem with my 93 chev truck. i had it fixed almost 10 years ago at the dealership. he didn't even charge me! the service advisor reached under the dash and reconnected a lever that got disconnected. I could see it go up and down when i changed air flow from defrost to floor etc. sorry not much help, but hopefully yours is a simple fix

Quote Originally Posted by jetjarv View Post
    i had this exact same problem with my 93 chev truck. i had it fixed almost 10 years ago at the dealership. he didn't even charge me! the service advisor reached under the dash and reconnected a lever that got disconnected. I could see it go up and down when i changed air flow from defrost to floor etc. sorry not much help, but hopefully yours is a simple fix
    Thanks for the reply. I checked it out and didn't see anything obviously disconnected, But I'll get under there and flip the switch around and try to see what is working what exactly.
    1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 210K miles:
    350 Vortec/4L60E, 3.42 posi, Underdrive crank pulley, K&N filter, Superchips power programmer, mallory coil, true dual exhaust, torque swirl TB spacer, and more!

1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA- L98 Superram
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L- Way too many mods to list!

Quote Originally Posted by budfreak View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I checked it out and didn't see anything obviously disconnected, But I'll get under there and flip the switch around and try to see what is working what exactly.
    I have the same issue. All the levers seem to be connected. It seems like the stroke of the levers is not long enough, however. I wish we could draw here and my explanation would be more clear. Did you ever find the problem and fix it?

there is a box under the dash you have to hit it to losen it up its located by the floor vents

Quote Originally Posted by jt_5.7 View Post
    there is a box under the dash you have to hit it to losen it up its located by the floor vents
    So, we're thinking something is jammed up inside the box and a good slap will free it up?