GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Check Engine Light?

Yesterday I went for a drive, I had 1/4 of a tank when I left and 106 miles left in the tank. About 10 miles down the road the Check Engine Light came on. Then I pulled over and made sure the gas cap was on right and everything seemed fine. I started the truck again and the gas gauge dropped to E and the fuel light came on. I stopped and checked everything and it all seemed fine. I started the truck and it was still on. I turned it off & on a few more times and Then the Check engine light & the fuel light shut off and the Gauge went back to 1/4. I drove it around for about 15 minutes and it never came back on. 2 hours later I left for the gym I got about 4 miles down the road and the Light came back on. This morning I drove it around and then I went and got gas. Right after I put gas in it the light turned off. A few hours later I started it and the light came back on. Anyone have any ideas? My transmission has been messed up for a few months but has never caused the light to come on. Im taking it to GM monday so they can see whats wrong with the transmission and see why the lights coming on.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Zach, take it to AutoZone and get the codes checked. Post the codes here on the forum.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Well the Light went off late last night and it hasn't came back on. I went to Autozone and the person working said they couldnt do anything because the light wasn't on. So I guess I will just have GM check it tomorrow when I take it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSI52 View Post
    Well the Light went off late last night and it hasn't came back on. I went to Autozone and the person working said they couldnt do anything because the light wasn't on. So I guess I will just have GM check it tomorrow when I take it in.
    The person working there must be lazy as hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The person working there must be lazy as hell!
    Most likely.haha

Im pretty sure it has to do with the Gas tank. Anytime I mess with the Gas cap the light shuts off.

Blog Entries

autozone = free scan

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

also a good tip is not to drive around on low gas it causes your fuel pump to burn up. the gas in the tank acts like a coolant for the pump its self

Quote Originally Posted by grimreapersshadow View Post
    also a good tip is not to drive around on low gas it causes your fuel pump to burn up. the gas in the tank acts like a coolant for the pump its self
    I normally don't drive it on a low tank.

Took it to GM today and dropped it off and they checked to see if anything was wrong and they said it wasnt giving off any codes. or anything. So I have no idea. There working on the transmission tomorrow so maybe the engine light will come back on.