GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Climate control problems after battery change

I am sure some (or all) have heard of this problem, but I need some help because its driving me nuts! I installed a new battery in my wifes 2002 Chevy Tahoe. Immediately afterward, the controls would only blow heat through the defrost setting, no matter what the dial was set to. Also, when I tried the AC the light on the button would just blink and never turn the AC on. Its a real pain in the butt that this happened just from a battery swap!!!

I've never heard of that problem. Did you clean the battery cables with a battery terminal tool? Did you hook up the battery with the key in the on position?

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and see what happens.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Blog Entries

Can't say this happened to me but something similar with the wife's Toyota Sienna. I changed the battery and then my auto window down/up didn't work. It would work manually but not automatically. After 3 days it started working again. Don't know why but I figure it had to go through somekind of reset cycle.

I know that Toyota and GM are two completely different animals but alot of electronics function similarly. This may be your issue.

How long has it been since you replaced the battery?
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Had this happen to me yesterday with a radio swap. It blew only hot air on the passenger side. While at the dealer having the radio programmed I mentioned the problem to them and they said often an off/on with the key will reset things. It worked with me. Mine's working fine now.

It has been quite awhile now. We have just lived with it until we could find an answer. I will try to disconnect for 5 minutes and then reconnect and see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by F E Knucklebuster View Post
    Had this happen to me yesterday with a radio swap. It blew only hot air on the passenger side. While at the dealer having the radio programmed I mentioned the problem to them and they said often an off/on with the key will reset things. It worked with me. Mine's working fine now.

do you mean an off/on with the key while swapping the battery? I disconnected the battery for ~5 minutes and tried again, no luck. anybody else have any ideas? this is crazy that all this could happen from a battery swap! I still can't believe it!!!

Here was my understanding.

When the battery is disconnected the actuators controlling the climate control can lose their position. They think they are in the cold position when they are really in the hot. Disconnecting the battery again won't correct it - it's an on/off thing with the key. You may have to experiment - ie - off/on without cranking, off/on without cranking 3 times, off/on with cranking. Mine did it with a simple off/on with cranking.

Cool climate control problems after battery change

Ive experianced my a/c blowing hot air after battery disconnect. Turned key off and on a few times and this cleared things up.

I'm gonna try all of these suggestions, and if any of them work I will definitely post the results!!! I don't want anybody else to have to go through this!!!!

Default Read all the sites on AC /Hot/Cold...

After several months of hot air blowing on the drivers side and cold on the passenger side and trying ALL the great tips (none of which worked) I got it. Start the truck "2005 Z71" and hit the #1 seat positioning setting on the door. BOOM! Cold air on both sides. Then I just set the seat back to the way I like it. It about crushed me into the steering wheel.

I will let you all know how long it stays ...Denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast