GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default 1998 Leaky dive shaft seal

    I have a leaking drive shaft seal on a 98 Z71. I removed the axle cv shaft and the axle tube shaft on the right side of the truck. My question is once I get the axle tube out, how do I remove the drive shaft. According to Auto Zone repair manuals on (see link below), I have to remove a snap ring, and then remove the drive axle. According to the Haynes book it says to take it to a dealer for service. All I want to do is replace a seal, thats seems crazy.


    This is the link to the instructions:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008f406

    This the link to the picture:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008f406

    Thanks!!
    1998 Z71 5.7
    4x4 3 Door Xtra Cab
    150,000 Miles
    Pretty Much Bone Stock

  2. #2

    Default

    You have to remove the axle housing as a unit, then take it apart.
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    You have to remove the axle housing as a unit, then take it apart.


    Do you mean the front differential? I removed the axle tube that has shaft in it. I'm trying to remove the shaft that the CV joint mounts to. The gear oil is coming out right behing the flange that the CV joints connects to, that is the seal I want to replace (number 3 in the picture, see link below). Thanks!!




    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008f406
    1998 Z71 5.7
    4x4 3 Door Xtra Cab
    150,000 Miles
    Pretty Much Bone Stock

  4. #4

    Default

    Here's what the repair manual says:

    RIGHT AXLE TUBE ASSEMBLY
    Disassembly
    1. Place mounting flange of axle tube assembly in a vise. Remove actuator solenoid and
    engagement switch from tube. Remove shift shaft, springs, shift fork and differential sleeve
    (No. 22). See Fig. 4 or Fig. 5 . Remove snap ring, connector gear (washer on K3), and thrust
    washer from axle shaft.
    2. Using a soft mallet, tap on flange end of axle shaft to remove axle shaft from tube. DO NOT
    hammer on pilot bearing stem end of axle shaft, severe damage will result. Using a
    screwdriver, pry out deflector and oil seal.
    3. To remove axle bearing from tube, use Bearing Remover (J-29369-1 for K2; J-29369-2 for
    K3). Using appropriate puller and slide hammer, remove axle bearing
    MITCHELL 1 ARTICLE - 1998-99 DRIVE AXLES Front Axle - "K" Series Page 1 of 1
    file://
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Here's what the repair manual says:

    RIGHT AXLE TUBE ASSEMBLY
    Disassembly
    1. Place mounting flange of axle tube assembly in a vise. Remove actuator solenoid and
    engagement switch from tube. Remove shift shaft, springs, shift fork and differential sleeve
    (No. 22). See Fig. 4 or Fig. 5 . Remove snap ring, connector gear (washer on K3), and thrust
    washer from axle shaft.
    2. Using a soft mallet, tap on flange end of axle shaft to remove axle shaft from tube. DO NOT
    hammer on pilot bearing stem end of axle shaft, severe damage will result. Using a
    screwdriver, pry out deflector and oil seal.
    3. To remove axle bearing from tube, use Bearing Remover (J-29369-1 for K2; J-29369-2 for
    K3). Using appropriate puller and slide hammer, remove axle bearing
    MITCHELL 1 ARTICLE - 1998-99 DRIVE AXLES Front Axle - "K" Series Page 1 of 1
    file://

    Is this online? (MITCHELL 1 ARTICLE - 1998-99 DRIVE AXLES Front Axle - "K" Series Page)

    Thanks!!!
    1998 Z71 5.7
    4x4 3 Door Xtra Cab
    150,000 Miles
    Pretty Much Bone Stock

  6. #6

    Default Pics of problem

    I am having trouble removing the drive shaft. According to everything I've reviewed there is supposed to be a snap ring that I have to remove, then I can remove the axle shaft. See pics attached and please let me know what I need to do. I do not see a snap ring. I want to replace the seal at the oppisite end of this shaft. Thanks!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.JPG   22.JPG   axle tube.jpg  
    1998 Z71 5.7
    4x4 3 Door Xtra Cab
    150,000 Miles
    Pretty Much Bone Stock

  7. #7

    Default

    The gear has to come off before you get to the snap ring. If you can get 2 small pry bars or a gear puller under it it will come off. It's pressed on and has an interference fit so it will take a puller to get it off.
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    The gear has to come off before you get to the snap ring. If you can get 2 small pry bars or a gear puller under it it will come off. It's pressed on and has an interference fit so it will take a puller to get it off.
    I will try that, but it seems wierd. The gear will shift (move) up & down with the axle shaft. The gear will also spin (move) very little on the spline. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!!!
    1998 Z71 5.7
    4x4 3 Door Xtra Cab
    150,000 Miles
    Pretty Much Bone Stock

  9. #9
    Jr. Engineer
    97chevz71's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perry County, Pennsylavania
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Hope you can get fixed.

  10. #10

    Default

    I just sent you a PDF from the factory manual. The gear is held on internally with a wire snap ring so you need a slide hammer or puller to get it off.
    Jim

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows



    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Getting ready to dive into the 4l60e and my truck!
    By cruisnhard in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
  2. leaky
    By jimmgill in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. Chevy Volt Takes a Dive - for Safety! - Gas2.0
    By Steve in forum Chevy Volt Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM
  4. Output shaft seal
    By thejms in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
  5. output shaft seal
    By Dangeruss88 in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •