GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default engine code po449

MY 06 GMC 4.8L has this code and can not clear it. The truck seems fine...

This code popped up when I tried to mix E85 in the tank.

I even disconnected the neg terminal on the battery and still would not clear...

John

06 Red GMC 4X4 CrewCab 4.8L
    MagnaFlow Muffler
    Lubed by AMSOIL...

Quote Originally Posted by detailjohn View Post
    MY 06 GMC 4.8L has this code and can not clear it. The truck seems fine...

This code popped up when I tried to mix E85 in the tank.

I even disconnected the neg terminal on the battery and still would not clear...

This code can set if you leave the cap loose or a bad cap can do it too. Did you overfill the tank? Overfilling the tank can saturate the EVAP canister and set the code. This is a type A hard code so disconnecting the battery wont clear it. Try driving it around for a while and let it go through it's drive cycle. If it won't clear itself you may have a bad vent solenoid or canister. Remember overfilling your tank can ruin EVAP system parts.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Legend
    Blog Entries

I learned something else valuable today, Jimmie you are full of awesome information! My dad used to yell at me about letting the truck go too empty, to the point where I would burn up fuel pumps and other components. I finally stopped doing that, but now I have a habit of over filling my truck! Thanks for the tip, I guess I am going to have to find a happy medium. I hate EVAP stuff.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

are you sure it is a flex fuel truck? im pretty sure these truck wern't e85 compatible.

Sr. Apprentice

Ummm...the 4.8 is not made to run E85. I think either the 5.3 or 5.7 is flex fuel and will run it.

300.00 LATER replaced the stupid Evap filter solenoid.. Mechanic showed me the part and on my truck its mounted on the frame rail WHERE IT COLLECTS DIRTY AND CRAP FROM THE ROAD! Solenoid wan't working.

GM your pushing it..... Toyota is looking better and better.
    John

06 Red GMC 4X4 CrewCab 4.8L
    MagnaFlow Muffler
    Lubed by AMSOIL...

Sorry to beat this to death, but I've been on different forums searching to resolve my P0449 code....I've gotten all sorts of part #'s that are AC Delco, yet none of these #'s are either valid, nor are they available....what gives ???
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

I winged it and went with AC Delco part # 214-2149, got some heater hose and a couple of clamps, put it on the truck, after the third trip, check engine light went off.....I've had people tell me that this part may not fit my truck being it is Flex Fuel, thank God it worked, got the part from Rock Auto, $27 including shipping
    *Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

I have a 2007 Silverado. I am also getting the P0449 code. I went to Advanced Auto and purchased the 214-2149 canister. I took it to my local repair shop and asked them to install it. The repairman came out and told me I purchased the wrong part. Does anybody know the correct part number is for the 2007?

I am also confused about what the code is telling me. Is it the canister by the fuel tank or is it the solenoid on top of the fuel tank? I would hate to change the canister and have the issue be the top of the fuel tank. Which would require to have the fuel tank dropped.

Any help would be great